Anyone have experienced with flashlight fish?

Very cool fish, appears to be (if you can find them) an expert level saltwater fish. Being as how this is a freshwater forum (mostly, just based on Aquarium Co-op being freshwater only) probably not too many people who have had them I'd guess. Though there are a few saltwater or former saltwater people here. I think you might have good luck with a reef forum if you were interested. They are really neat!

Someone else  was also interested in them.

Back in the day, our biologist friend here explained why it is not actually a nice idea to have them at home and they will very likely die. I'm leaving the topic so you can read in detail.

Very cool fish indeed, but one of those that certainly belong to nature and not suitable for homes it seems

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 2

On 5/20/2023 at 1:38 AM, Phoenixfishroom said:

Thank you, that is good information to have. I do try to avoid keeping the ones that really shouldn’t be pets.

Yea, I feel you. Sometimes enjoying these beauties from where they are belong to is also nice.

I love tarantulas but same reason why I've never really kept one. They don't feel like pets.

They can be kept long term. Kinda. Some zoos and aquariums have attempted it but their lifespan is greatly reduced and their cheeks stop glowing after a time.

bioluminescence abounds however especially in a reef environment. We just have no idea what the bacteria needs to survive. We know how they do it. Just not why they do it. 

• Like 3

On 5/20/2023 at 10:43 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

bioluminescence abounds however especially in a reef environment.

@Phoenixfishroom, I'd also suggest that if you want to go marine, the fluorescence on many of the commonly kept soft (softies) and large-polyp-stony (LPS) corals is outstanding!  Again, not bioluminescence, but visually, I think it's even more eye-catching.  Check out this zoa garden!

Drool worthy zoa's from Riad Ramez. Who has a zoa garden? #marinedepot ...

• Love 3