Flagfish Resistant Plants

We’ve had good luck with flagfish in multiple tanks. The newest male is a bit of a turd (pick your choice of word).  He chased down and nipped our centerpiece angelfish on our 55g.  We then moved him to our 20L live bearer.  The guppies, mollies, platties, and female flagfish can handle their own with him, but he massacred the bacopas and now he’s even working on the chain swords.   Anyone know of stem plants that can survive an aggressive male flagfish?

Edited by RichNJ

Unless he is in nest-making mode, my male usually leaves plants alone. I have dwarf hairgrass, dwarf staggitara, java moss, valaseneria, some anubias, and bacopa. How often do you feed the tank, and how much food does your male usually get? (Do the livebearers beat him to it, etc, etc)

edit: spelling

Edited by AnotherHumanPerson

On 5/18/2023 at 10:39 AM, AnotherHumanPerson said:

Unless he is in nest-making mode, my male usually leaves plants alone. I have dwarf hairgrass, dwarf staggitara, java moss, valaseneria, some anubias, and bacopa. How often do you feed the tank, and how much food does your male usually get? (Do the livebearers beat him to it, etc, etc)

edit: spelling

@AnotherHumanPerson  I feed them twice per (usually a variety of things, Xtreme community flakes, algae wafers, repashy soilent green, etc), but yes the livebearers are a tornado.  So true, he could be hungry and nesting even (since there are two females).  Hard to know how much he eats himself, but I'll try monitor.  I might try some of the plants you mention too (my nitrates are building now since less plants after Mr. Flagfish).  The bacopa was disappointing to see destroyed since it really was taking off and looked like a nice tree forest of sorts.

On 5/18/2023 at 1:21 PM, RichNJ said:

@AnotherHumanPerson  I feed them twice per (usually a variety of things, Xtreme community flakes, algae wafers, repashy soilent green, etc), but yes the livebearers are a tornado.  So true, he could be hungry and nesting even (since there are two females).  Hard to know how much he eats himself, but I'll try monitor.  I might try some of the plants you mention too (my nitrates are building now since less plants after Mr. Flagfish).  The bacopa was disappointing to see destroyed since it really was taking off and looked like a nice tree forest of sorts.

If you want to check for a nest, look for a circular area with a diameter of about 6-8” with little to no plants, or plants with plenty of bite marks. The substrate around there will be clear of pretty much all debris, so even the slightest layer of detritus will make them easy to spot. 

If he is nesting, I suggest clearing out a designated nesting spot clear of any plants you would want harmed. My male will usually pick a spot at random to nest after a top-up or water change, so I will “re-roll” with another top-up or water change until I get my preferred spot. 

Sorry to hear about your bacopa. I love mine for all the same reasons. And as said in my post above, I don’t have any issues with it and my flagfish. Maybe you can try it again after this whole issue is over.