Guppies swimming at top of tank

schmofam

This isn't necessarily a "what's wrong" question but more a "is this bad?" question. I have had two guppies for months and they swim at the top of the tank most of the time. Sometimes they break off and go deeper to peck at stuff. I have read that means they need more oxygen. However, I have a bubbler and the levels are in good shape with the tank. Is this something to worry about? I did recently lose one but that was shortly after I added some plants. I think it may be related to that and nitrate levels which I have addressed.

IMG_3085.jpg

IMG_3087.jpg

• Like 1

PH - ~7.2
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
temp - 77-78 degrees
nitrate 20-40 ppm 
water changes usually once a week depending on nitrate levels. Volume depends on nitrate levels, usually between 25-50%.

Diet - once-a-day flakes in the morning. I try to provide enough food so there isn't too much that floats down to the substrate. 
Turn the tank light on around 9 AM, even though natural light is already coming into the tank. Turn the light off around 8 PM.

Edited by schmofam

I can look into the room from the doorway where they can't see me and are still primarily hanging out there, talking about two. I do have a platy that was born in the tank that hangs out on the bottom. They definitely get more lively when they know I am there and want food.

I hate to think he's suffering, etc. Could this also be a normal behavior or is this for sure something's up?

Interesting.  The only time my guppies swim at the very top of the tank is when the females are about to drop fry (they are hiding in the back corner, looking somewhat distressed at that point).

On a side note, what ammonia test are you using?  For API, I recommend using tap water (or distilled if tap has ammonia) in a separate test tube, running the test on both tap and tank water, and putting the two test tubes side by side.  You might see a slight difference if there is a small amount of ammonia.

Edited by Galabar

I'm going to get my water tested today at my local fish store. I just did a test with my master kit and I found more ammonia in the tap water than I did in my tank water. I did a 25% water change yesterday and a 50% the day before and used Prime both times. That may be why it is testing lower. Hopefully, I'm getting someplace.