Lucky Platy Fry

Maximus

Picked up some assorted Platy from AOC in the hopes that some fry might survive in my community tank. Saw one or two pop out within the first couple of days, but then they seemed to disappear. I figured they became food, but spotted one hanging out in the anubias nana today. Back behind there is some hardscape that offers good shelter and probably has a good buildup of mulm. Hoping for the best! 

PXL_20230504_054509465.jpg

PXL_20230516_175313928.jpg

• Like 1

Good luck.  Several times a day, I got "hunting" in my 40 breeder for platty fry and move them to my fry tank.  It is very fun and rewarding to "save" them. 🙂

That one in the anubias looks like it might have made it to the non-edible size. 😅

On 5/16/2023 at 9:08 PM, Galabar said:

Several times a day, I got "hunting" in my 40 breeder for platty fry and move them to my fry tank.

I'd love to hear any tips around this 😅 I was considering trying the same since I bought a breeder box (not using it for the spawning, or anything yet), but didn't think it'd be feasible. I have a 55 gallon so it's quite deep and hard to see.

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2023 at 10:59 PM, Maximus said:

I'd love to hear any tips around this 😅 I was considering trying the same since I bought a breeder box (not using it for the spawning, or anything yet), but didn't think it'd be feasible. I have a 55 gallon so it's quite deep and hard to see.

I got this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q2WKNGQ

I just wait for them to swim slightly out from hiding and put the net behind them.  They are actually pretty easy to catch if you get the net behind them (they tend to only move forward rather than dodge side-to-side).

Side note: I have yet to see a fry make it to adulthood in either of my non-fry tanks.

Edited by Galabar