Betta with growing belly bulge, no other symptoms

nic

Hi.  My betta Ping has a serious bulge on his side that's growing.  I've tried fasting a couple times but that didn't help.  I've read a bunch of articles but they say basically the same thing.  Bloat is a symptom to other issues.  But he doesn't show any other symptoms that help me to narrow what it could be.  I'm afraid to try meds as I know that can do harm if you are treating for something they don't have.
He still has a good appetite.  He swims normal.  I have no idea if he is passing poo.  I've honestly only ever seem him do that maybe twice since I've had him.  The only thing that has changed is I do see him occasionally rest.  Whether or not that is related I don't know.

The tank gets weekly water changes.
He's been getting fed North Fin Betta Bits pellets and the occasional freeze dried bloodworm.  Fasting every Sunday.
I've been using tap water treated with Fritz.
I dose with Easy Green.
I have 1 nerite snail and a growing crew of MTS.

Water parameters 3 days after a water change,
pH 7.8  (almost positive. I have a little trouble distinguishing the orange on the chart)
Nitrates 10
GH 107.4
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
KH 53.7

Temp 79

This is what I'm thinking of trying...
I bought epsom salt and am going to try a 15 minute soak.  I've read different ratios so I figure I'd try 1.5tsp per gallon.
I couldn't find daphnia but I did find some frozen cubes that contains a mix of stuff including brine shrimp and daphnie.  Not sure how much to give.
I have him on another fast at the moment.  This would be day 3.

Any advice would be appreciated!

ping2.jpg

As you have tried fasting and haven't seen much improvement it could be constipation causing the bloating I would try the Epsom salt baths 1 table spoon for 1 gallon for no more than 15 minutes for 5 days as Epsom salt acts as a muscle relaxant daphnia and brine shrimp will also help with constipation  you can also get bloating with internal parasites have you added anything new to the tank recently @nic

• Like 1

On 5/17/2023 at 6:29 PM, nic said:

@Colu I added a plant from Petco but that was over a month ago.

I will give him his first soak today. When should I start feeding again?

the chance of plant's introducing parasites is very low I would fast for frist couple of days of Epsom salt baths then start feeding the frozen food 

Edited by Colu

On 5/17/2023 at 4:03 PM, Colu said:

the chance of plant's introducing parasites is very low I would fast for frist couple of days of Epsom salt baths then start feeding the frozen food 

Thank you, I appreciate the advice.

I completed the series of salt dips.  And Ping fasted for 6 days before I started feeding a little bit of frozen brine shrimp.  Unfortunately after all of that I don't see a decrease in his belly.  It doesn't look to have grown either.  He continues to act normal. 
I read Honeydew's thread where she found out her betta's swollen belly was from overeating.  While I don't have any other fish and I'm not feeding anything else other than betta food could there be something he is finding to eat?  I do see him 'hunt' around the tank and pick at things. But I have no idea what he's picking at.

As the bloating hasn't reduced with Epsom salt baths and fasting it could be internal growth or an internal bacterial infection or parasitic infections it's a process of elimination at this point what I would suggest is doing a course of metroplex in food feeding a small amount twice a day for upto 3 weeks as the active ingredient metronidazole treats anaerobic bacterial infections that can cause bloating and several types of  protozoan parasites @nic

IMG_20230115_234815.jpg

Edited by Colu

• 3 weeks later...

@Colu

Update... I treated Ping for about 10 days with the medicated food. Then I was away for 5 and he only ate once during that time which was regular food. Since I've been back I continued with the medicated food. I don't know how long it should take to see results but he actually looks more bloated. He swims normal and has an appetite but his spine is looking like it dips down due to his swollen belly.

Should I try treating the tank instead? My nerite snail died. I'm not sure what my MTS population is. I don't care if they all die though not sure how that would affect the balance of the tank. Or should I continue with the medicated food? I have a feeling this isn't a treatable issue...

On 6/15/2023 at 12:50 PM, nic said:

@Colu

Update... I treated Ping for about 10 days with the medicated food. Then I was away for 5 and he only ate once during that time which was regular food. Since I've been back I continued with the medicated food. I don't know how long it should take to see results but he actually looks more bloated. He swims normal and has an appetite but his spine is looking like it dips down due to his swollen belly.

Should I try treating the tank instead? My nerite snail died. I'm not sure what my MTS population is. I don't care if they all die though not sure how that would affect the balance of the tank. Or should I continue with the medicated food? I have a feeling this isn't a treatable issue...

If he's more bloated and your not seeing any improvement with the medicated food i would stop treating with the medicated food  I think we can rule out over eating and constipation as  fasting and Epsom salt baths haven't worked internal bacterial less likely given the length of time possible parasitic infections other  than the bloating he isn't displaying any other  symptoms possible internal growth which there's no treatment available you could treat for a parastic infection or just monitor him if he's active and eating ok or you could do a course of anti-parasitic medication such as Expel p or paracleanse I don't think they would be beneficial at this point @nic

Edited by Colu

On 6/15/2023 at 10:14 AM, Colu said:

If he's more bloated and your not seeing any improvement with the medicated food i would stop treating with the medicated food  I think we can rule out over eating and constipation as  fasting and Epsom salt baths haven't worked internal bacterial less likely given the length of time possible parasitic infections other  than the bloating he isn't displaying any other  symptoms possible internal growth which there's not treatment you treat for a parastic infection or just monitor him if he's active and eating ok or you could do a course of anti-parasitic medication such as Expel p or paracleanse I don't think they would be beneficial at this point @nic

I figured unfortunately. Your help has been much appreciated. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

@Colu wanted to say thank you for all your help. I did end up trying Paracleanse just to know I tried everything. As guessed that didn't work. Eventually Ping stopped swimming around and wasn't doing well so this week I let him go with some clove oil 😟 I greatly appreciated all your help.

• Sad 1