Hello from PA

nic

Hi.  I own a betta named Ping.  Played one of those games last summer at the fair not expecting to win.  But secretly hoping it would be cool to win even though I've never had fish before.  And sure enough my boyfriend won on the second try.  I know that's not the best way to get in the hobby and I'm sure frowned upon... Then came the scramble to read up and put together a nice set up.  I love plants and had to go the live plant route.  It's been a learning experience.  I have to say this has been the most expensive $3 prize ever.
Ping has always been pretty active exploring every inch of his tank.  Even made some hoops for him which he loves swimming through.  I swear up until last month I'd never seen him sleep.  Then I finally caught him on his betta leaf 🙂

Unfortunately what's brought me to this forum is Ping has recently grown quite the belly and I will post about that on another thread hoping for some advice.

ping1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Welcome aboard 😎

Lovely planted tank! Perfect Betta playground.

The belly issue can have varied causes. Adult fish in a planted tank can be fasted for a few days. If you try that and notice the issue resolving, perhaps your fish has jest over-eaten.

I always have to remind myself that Betta splendens are among the most inbred fish in the hobby. Though they look perfectly healthy during a five minute look at a pet store, the long term arc of their natural development frequently draws out endemic genetic defects. There are some other fish in the hobby that struggle like this (Electric Blue Jack Dempseys come to mind, also balloon-style selectively bred species). All of which is to encourage you: this hobby should not stand or fall upon the issues you face with any one fish.

As an example, here is a female Koi Betta that my son got a few years ago. He designed this attractive little tank. All was well. For a while. But then her gill aphasia (notice that her gill slightly protrudes) became more and more pronounced. Internal issues also began to display. Long story short, she didn't live very long. There are just certain issues that are common to Bettas. Just enjoy them while you can!

My younger kiddo got this male koi Betta. He adored him! But he also adored swinging a baseball bat in his room one day. We saved the fish, but lost the tank . . . and the dresser . . . and a musical keyboard on the floor . . . and a mattress . . . 😂

• Like 1

On 5/19/2023 at 10:56 PM, Fish Folk said:

Welcome aboard 😎

Lovely planted tank! Perfect Betta playground.

The belly issue can have varied causes. Adult fish in a planted tank can be fasted for a few days. If you try that and notice the issue resolving, perhaps your fish has jest over-eaten.

I always have to remind myself that Betta splendens are among the most inbred fish in the hobby. Though they look perfectly healthy during a five minute look at a pet store, the long term arc of their natural development frequently draws out endemic genetic defects. There are some other fish in the hobby that struggle like this (Electric Blue Jack Dempseys come to mind, also balloon-style selectively bred species). All of which is to encourage you: this hobby should not stand or fall upon the issues you face with any one fish.

Thanks for the warm welcome and info.

Those are lovely tanks and happy fish.  And a funny but not funny story with the bat, lol.  I can tell your son is very proud of his fish and tank 🙂

• Like 1

On 5/26/2023 at 7:22 AM, nic said:

😆🤣 "stillers"

That’s right!

2E99A720-A4ED-49C5-A88B-6127ECB55CF0.jpeg

When I first moved to da Burgh, jumbo really got me (lady ordering a-pound-a jumbo at the deli counter). And a buggy is something with wheels you use in a supermarket, usually the Jynt Iggle. 🖤💛

I know what all of this means except di’ent. I don’t think I’ve heard that one yet.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Love 1

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea   Yep, jumbo. I'm not guilty of ALL of the Pittburghese but it wasn't until college and much later that I realized not everyone said things the same, LOL. Though I will still argue pop over soda. I love slippy outside and growing up my mom ran the sweeper. Apparently I still say Stillers even though I swear I'm not... I mean how wrong can a Pittsburgh native be at pronouncing their own team.

• Love 2

On 5/28/2023 at 7:53 AM, nic said:

Though I will still argue pop over soda

When I lived in Pittsburgh, I heard most people say soda, but occasionally I’d be in a crowd with someone from Ohio and they’d say pop. @TeeJay is from Ohio. @TeeJay, pop? Or soda? And then @Guppysnail I think says “soda pop”.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1