Where should I put Pancake?

Webhead15

Pancake is my 10yr old Angelfish.  He was in my 75g, but had to move him to 10g quarantine tank after he was beat up by 2 other angelfish.  He is all healed now, so I tried to stick him in my 55g with small peaceful fish, but I think the fish zooming around freaked him out.  Put him back in 10g, and he calmed down.  Gave him some guppy friends, which seems to make him happy.  I have 125g, and only one of the 2 angelfish bullies is in there.  The other one passed.  Do I risk the stress of moving him again to give him a bigger home for rest of his days, or let him stay in 10g?  He seems content, but I feel bad for him.  The 125 has juvenile Severum (about same size as pancake), two tiny geophagus, 5 juvenile roseline sharks, 1 Angelfish, 1 rope fish, several Cory cats, 1 little peacock (don’t ask lol) and 3 gouramis.  I believe that’s it.  They all pretty much leave each other alone.  What do you guys think is best for him?

IMG_7764.jpeg

Edited by Webhead15
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Is it possible that when you put him in the 55 he was just getting accustomed to the unfamiliar surroundings instead of being stressed by the other fish?  If yes, and I'd think that's likely, I'd put him back in it and give him some time.

Possibly, but I never seen a reaction like he had.  He was slamming into things, looking around frantically, swimming like he was being chased by a shark.  I watched him for a bit, but since he is so old, I didn’t want to risk stressing him for much longer.  If he was younger I would have kept him in longer.  Thank you for your suggestion.  I will definitely consider it.  This is stressing me out! He’s my little buddy.  Had him since he was tiny.

55 sounds like the best idea but just keep the lights off for some good time and let him settle. Changing its 10 yo environment is quite a big change. Don't put him with lights on right away

he is very cute btw

• Like 3

Thank you for that!  He is an awesome fish!  I want to do the best I can for him!  Normally I am confident in my choices and actions, but he is up there in age, and stress is so bad for fish, even for young ones.    He is tough though, so I’m probably overthinking it.  Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  I will try putting him in, and keeping the lights off or dim for a bit.

@Webhead15 As you are new to the forum, I  just wanted to mention this:

In order to make sure people see your respond to their message, try to either quote their post or tag their name, so they receive a notification this way!

Cheers,

Edited by Lennie
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2023 at 11:58 AM, Lennie said:

@Webhead15 As you are new to the forum, I  just wanted to mention this:

In order to make sure people see your respond to their message, try to either quote their post or tag their name, so they receive a notification this way!

Cheers,

I get notified any time someone responds to a thread I either started or replied to, even if I'm not quoted or tagged.

On 5/17/2023 at 8:50 PM, JettsPapa said:

I get notified any time someone responds to a thread I either started or replied to, even if I'm not quoted or tagged.

You seem to follow the thread. You have to play around your notification settings. If you need help, hmu in dms! I may try to fix it if you wanna change it 

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1

If you put him back in the 55, in addition to dimming lights for a few days, I'd rearrange the tank right before you put him in so it's "new" for everyone in there. If you don't already have them, I'd add some floating plants to the surface as well -- I notice my Angels seem to like "hanging around" under the red root floaters. Good luck!

• Like 2

I haven't moved any ten year old fish, but moving fish in the dark seems to work well for me.  Do the same thing with chickens, add a new hen to the roost in the dark and when they wake up it's like they just assume that's how it always was. 

There's more to it than that, but very low/no light might help a lot. 

Otherwise just wanted to say well done on a ten year old fish! 🙂

• Like 3

On 5/18/2023 at 6:21 AM, jwcarlson said:

I haven't moved any ten year old fish, but moving fish in the dark seems to work well for me.  Do the same thing with chickens, add a new hen to the roost in the dark and when they wake up it's like they just assume that's how it always was. 

There's more to it than that, but very low/no light might help a lot. 

Otherwise just wanted to say well done on a ten year old fish! 🙂

(Chickens are much easier to catch in the dark also.)

• Haha 1