White splotches - fish died very quickly when I tried treating

grape

Hello,

I am an inexperienced fishkeeper but have been doing well for the past 6 months largely in part to the resources provided by Aquarium CoOp. I have longfin serpae tetras in a community tank and I saw some white splotches on two of them, as well as a bit of fin rot. I'm assuming this happened due to fin nipping as they can be quite aggressive. They are larger splotches, not dots like ich, so I thought it could be columnaris or some kind of fungus. I've never treated sick fish before, so I got a sterilite bin from Walmart and rinsed it out, put a heater and a cycled sponge filter from my main tank in it, and filled it up with water with the same parameters as my main tank. I then dosed it with IchX and Maracyn according to Aquarium CoOp directions.

My fish appeared healthy in my main tank besides the splotches and their fins, but after I moved them to the hospital tank described above they died within an hour. This seems like a very quick time for them to go from swimming happily to completely dead, so I am quite confused and want to know what went wrong. Any thoughts? Thanks!

white splotch.jpg

Sorry to hear.

Lots of things can go wrong in a Quarantine / hospital tank set up. Without doing a rigorous troubleshooting project, there's a lot of guesswork.

Possible things to check:

(1) Are you sure the temperature was in the safe zone?

(2) Are you sure that the sponge filter was seeded properly?

(3) Could the container have been coated with a harmful substance -- wiped down, etc?

(4) Did you use _tank water_ or _tap water_? -- If tap water, did you remember to dechlorinate it? If tap water, are you certain that the parameters are very close?

(5) Could you have overdosed the treatment?

Thanks for your reply.

1) yes I matched the temp to the 76 it was in the tank

2) it has been running in my main tank for 5 months, and even so I don't think ammonia from one fish could kill it within an hour right?

3) I wiped it down with a paper towel and water but it's always possible I guess. Nothing has ever been in it except fish though.

4) I actually use remineralized RO water and I matched it to the GH, KH, and pH of my tank.

5) I used exactly 5g of water and added 2.5 mL IchX and 30 mg Maracyn as per Aquarium Co-Op ratios.

Looking at the picture I would say your dealing with columnaris that a gram negative bacterial infections that spreads more quickly at temperature over 75 and can kill your fish in 24hr to 7 days for some of the cold water stains if other fish are showing symptoms then I would with a combination of kanaplex and jungal fungus clear fizz tabs containing nitrofurazone following this treatment plan @grape

IMG_20230115_235240.jpg