What's your favorite foods or go to?

Shadow

I have went crazy over the months since my return to the fish hobby and like to grab foods I hear about, test them. Often fish are indifferent, some of the same kinds in one tank dislike the food but the other tank go feral lol. Not sure why, as some are from the same breeder. Anyways, curious what everyone digs for fish specific or just general food? What's some of your faves?

My Angels LOVE Tetra Flake(the OG tropical fish formula), but none of the others like it. SO I went with variety...here's some of what I use and the fish seem to like. 

EBO Foods, found a source and boy do my Corys/Plecos LOVE it. Before that I found a brand through an ebay food creator, Aquatic Foods, and their bloodworm pellets. I switch up between protein foods and algae/spirulina based ones. Been thinking of trying out zucchini(local from the farmers market and WASHED of course), but haven't yet. 

My nanos all really dig LEGIT Nano pellets, but also are fans of leftover Tetra Flake and also Hikaru Micro Pellets...they aren't super keen on the massivore delight pellets like I thought they'd be since I know @DansFish like to feed em that(the nano 48 gal tank is primarily fish from there)...HEY maybe they just stop liking certain things. 😂 

My guppies are all Hikaru freeze dried bloodworms & Royal Guppy Mignon Pellet. I tried tubifex cubes and they pick at em, really not fond. 

The Odessa Barbs and Mollies prefer Royal Mignon as well, but LOVE massivore delight pellets & all of them swarm, decimate them in no time. 

Lastly, I use live foods ie micro/banana worms and soon white worms. I have tried brine shrimp a few times, but its such a mess at times and woooo stinky if it falls somewhere unhidden, that I just stick with the worms. This summer I plan to try my hand at daphnia and bloodworm cultivation as well. 🙂 

What about everyone else? 

• Like 1

When I was new to the hobby I went wild with different foods, but now I’ve narrowed it down to what I really like.

I use Xtreme Krill and Spirulina and make my own community crave with a higher krill ratio, Xtreme Shrimpee pellets for my shrimp and snails, Xtreme Nano (even my adult Angels gobble it up), Xtreme Bottom Wafers, Hikari Algae wafers, and then I hatch and freeze my own baby brine shrimp and of course frozen bloodworms. I also use Hikari First Bites when I have fry. Works well for me and my 14 tanks lol. 

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For most fish:
-Xtreme community crave
-Xtreme nano pellets
-Hikari vibra bites
-Hikari micro pellets
-ACO/Hikari freeze dried brine shrimp

For inverts:
-Hikari crab cusine
-Xtreme shrimpee sticks

For goldfish:
-Hikari fancy goldfish
-Hikari sinking goldfish excel
-Extreme nice semi floating (also for angelfish and other largish fish)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

New life spectrum, basically anything.

Dainichi Tropic Max

For fry and small fish with small mouths, Sera Micron Nature.

For feeding frenzy, Sera O nip tabs.

+ frozen daphnia or live/frozen bbs 3 times a week

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2023 at 3:05 PM, Shadow said:

Anyways, curious what everyone digs for fish specific or just general food? What's some of your faves?

I'm waiting for hikari to make veggie version of vibrabites....

My top foods:
NLS Algaemax pellets/wafers/mini-wafers (smallest ones you can get)
Northfin Cichlid veggie pellets (smallest you can get)
----> Note, the fish are not a fan of the wafers as much, same exact recipe, but the pellets they dig and it's great for shrimp too. They are slowly getting through them. I plan to replace with the above NLS mentioned wafers.
Northfin Krill pro pellets (smallest you can get) //This replaces vibrabites for me in future
Xtreme Spirulina / Krill flakes (community crave or by themselves)
Repashy Soilent Green
Repashy Bottom Scratcher
Frozen Spirulina brine shrimp
Shrimp King Complete

Honorable Mentions or "nice to have" or things I wish I could try:
Hikari Discus granules
Fluval bug bites for bottom feeders (granules not wafers)
Repashy Iagapo Explorer
Repashy Community Blend
Repashy Spawn and Grow
Repashy Super Green
Hikari frozen Baby brine
Hikari frozen mini bloodworms
Live BBS
Glasgarten Mineral Junkie (shrimp food)
Shrimp King 5 leaf mix
Shrimp King Color
Bee Pollen
Mulberry or Indian Almond Leaves
Alder Cones (big ones)

• Like 3

On 5/15/2023 at 1:57 AM, Lennie said:

New life spectrum, basically anything.

Dainichi Tropic Max

For fry and small fish with small mouths, Sera Micron Nature.

For feeding frenzy, Sera O nip tabs.

+ frozen daphnia or live/frozen bbs 3 times a week

Do the sera tabs stay stuck on the glass ? 

On 5/15/2023 at 6:43 PM, GCH said:

Do the sera tabs stay stuck on the glass ? 

They do. But I have lots of bottom feeders so I drop pieces on bottom and crush some with my fingers for surface feeders.

My fish never like eating from glass somehow

• Like 1

On 5/15/2023 at 11:50 AM, Lennie said:

They do. But I have lots of bottom feeders so I drop pieces on bottom and crush some with my fingers for surface feeders.

My fish never like eating from glass somehow

I'll try some ... lol  My picky eater fish   🥵

On 5/15/2023 at 6:53 PM, GCH said:

I'll try some ... lol  My picky eater fish   🥵

Like, I have a lot of fish, and this is legit everyones fav treat. Only live bbs can compete it 😄 

It is more of a treat rather than daily food btw. Like once a week type of food

• Like 2

On 5/15/2023 at 11:55 AM, Lennie said:

Like, I have a lot of fish, and this is legit everyones fav treat. Only live bbs can compete it 😄 

It is more of a treat rather than daily food btw. Like once a week type of food

I wanna see this fish frenzy in my tank ... lol

• Love 1

Some of the best food I use for my bristlenose plecos are EBO spirulina tabs and veg sticks repashy  super green sak spirulina pellets tropical hi-algae disc with a 52.4% algae content are best I have found for algaeivores my tetras I feed hikari micro pellets tetra prima minigranules frozen brine shrimp Cyclops and occasionally blood worms my goldfish I feed hikari saki gold repashy super gold duckweed occasionally frozen blood worms and bug bites larger goldfish pellets 

Edited by Colu
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

On 5/15/2023 at 1:21 PM, Colu said:

Some of the best food I use for my bristlenose plecos are EBO spirulina tabs and veg sticks repashy  super green sak spirulina pellets tropical hi-algae disc with a 54% algae content are best I have found for algaeivores my tetras I feed hikari micro pellets tetra prima minigranules frozen brine shrimp Cyclops and occasionally blood worms my goldfish I feed hikari saki gold repashy super gold duckweed occasionally frozen blood worms and bug bites larger goldfish pellets 

They seem to REALLY love the EBO food, especially the Seafood & Spirulina soft granules. I need to check out Repashy, everyone seems to really dig it. 

On 5/15/2023 at 8:09 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I mean, I like eggplant parmesan.  Tacos are great too.

The fish like Xtreme krill flakes, frozen brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms, Vibra Bites, daphnia.

The snails and shrimp love Soilent green repashy.

I LOVE TACOS TOO!!! Next time we all meet up at a Aquashella...taco party!!! 

P.S. We cannot forget the Churros. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/15/2023 at 7:50 PM, Shadow said:

They seem to REALLY love the EBO food, especially the Seafood & Spirulina soft granules. I need to check out Repashy, everyone seems to really dig it. 

When I started feeding EBO foods I had larger and more frequent spawns from my bristlenose plecos I haven't found an EBO food they didn't like

• Love 1

On 5/15/2023 at 6:48 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Or the queso blanco.

SI!!!!! OR GUACAMOLE!!!! 

Back to OG thread news and not Mexican food(as I can talk it all day long...its a passion, seriously)...

I will check out Repashy for sure and plan to purchase more from EBO(so far my fish REALLY love it). Will continue with the bloodworms of many forms as the fish, especially the guppies, love it. Nano wise, my go to seems to be LEGIT, so def recommend it. Gotta figure something out for the Angels as I hate dirtying the tank with the Tetra Flake...it always leaves nastiness. 

• Haha 1

On 5/15/2023 at 8:33 PM, Shadow said:

I will check out Repashy

The Repashy does tend to fly around as they pick at it.

On 5/15/2023 at 8:33 PM, Shadow said:

I hate dirtying the tank with the Tetra Flake

The Xtreme flakes don't seem to affect water quality, in my opinion.  They all get eaten immediately in my tank.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea