Removing glass divider

Founddaniel

Hey everybody, recently got a used 40 breeder tank that the previous owner had put a glass divider in. I've removed the divider and cleaned up the tank with a vinegar water mix and gotten it looking pretty good. However the caulking for the glass divider has left two visible lines down the aquarium glass and it seems no amount of vinegar scrubbing or razor blade will clean it up. At this point I'm wondering it it's actually etched into the glass rather than a stain as It just doesn't seem to come out after hours of scrubbing. Anyone here dealt with this and have some tips? It's a little hard to see in the picture, I'm sure the average viewer of the tank won't even notice but because I know its there I'm pretty sure it's all I'll be able to see once it's set up haha. 

20230514_091039.jpg

On 5/14/2023 at 6:25 AM, Founddaniel said:

Anyone here dealt with this and have some tips? It's a little hard to see in the picture, I'm sure the average viewer of the tank won't even notice but because I know its there I'm pretty sure it's all I'll be able to see once it's set up haha. 

Does it feel raised on the surface of the glass or does it feel like part of the glass is worn down? Depending on how the divider was cut you might have an issue with the glass itself being bent or deformed in some way. If the divider was oversized, thicker or harder (tempered) glass that would attribute to some damage in that case.

I hope it's not the case!!!

As far as removing stuff from glass I think the one who had the biggest challenge of recent was Irene:

On 5/14/2023 at 11:59 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Depending on how the divider was cut you might have an issue with the glass itself being bent or deformed in some way.

The divider was a little smaller than the width of the tank so there was limited glass to glass contact, the most mark seems to be where the actual caulking touched the glass. It's hard to tell by touch but I assumed the mark is a raised surface. Would the caulking actually etch into the glass?