What to feed L134 fry?

tolstoy21

Hi all,

After a couple years of waiting, my L134s finally spawned. That being said, does anyone have any advice on how to raise these (in terms of diet)? What do they prefer to eat? Same food as the adults or something slightly different?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Nicholas

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I was honestly going to suggest exactly what @nabokovfan87 just did. But I would also add in some walter worms just to test the waters. If they seem to like the worms, I'd follow the progression to banana worms and micro worms until they're big enough to take whatever you're feeding the adults. The LDA 25 fry I'm raising are all about Repashy Super Green, (started with dust and worked up to mixed), but every other time I offer banana worms they'll start acting nuts. It's not every time, but worms still get the response when they're ready to take them. Since those L134s are omnivores, I'd expect the worms to get a stronger response than with these aufwuchs eaters.

I'm not sure how big your fry are, but if they're big enough maybe vinegar eels are worth a try?

• Thanks 2

Vinegar eels last a long time in the water so it’s what I plan to feed my super reds when they start breeding and repashy. It’s worth a try. 

On 5/16/2023 at 3:48 PM, Comradovich said:

I was honestly going to suggest exactly what @nabokovfan87 just did. But I would also add in some walter worms just to test the waters. If they seem to like the worms, I'd follow the progression to banana worms and micro worms until they're big enough to take whatever you're feeding the adults. The LDA 25 fry I'm raising are all about Repashy Super Green, (started with dust and worked up to mixed), 

I'm not sure how big your fry are, but if they're big enough maybe vinegar eels are worth a try?

While vinegar eels are a great food for many fry, they’re drawn to the top of the water for the most part so I’m not sure how helpful they would be for plecos.  Even though microworms, banana worms, and Walter worms, etc, don’t live very long in water, they would be better suited for growing the meat eating plecos since they all sink.

On 5/26/2023 at 12:35 AM, Odd Duck said:

While vinegar eels are a great food for many fry, they’re drawn to the top of the water for the most part so I’m not sure how helpful they would be for plecos.  Even though microworms, banana worms, and Walter worms, etc, don’t live very long in water, they would be better suited for growing the meat eating plecos since they all sink.

Thanks for the input. I have microworms going now so I’ll use those. I have Walter worms but they are taking off slowly. 

• Like 1