Temperature for Cherry Shrimp

Shrimpee

On 5/13/2023 at 11:49 AM, Shrimpee said:

What temperature do you keep your Cherry Shrimp tanks at? Im trying to breed some and I want to know the ideal temperature for breeding.

Higher temp = shorter lifespan.  The studies don't generally focus on how cold can they get, but moreso on how warm they can be.  This is used for invasive species study data as well.

I keep mine in the 72-74 range optimally.  They can definitely go colder, and anything in the 70-78 range I am perfectly fine with.   Higher temps = more breeding.  Lower temps, you generally have better growth rates and development.  Too cold and they will have muscular dystrophy issues and die.

On 5/13/2023 at 11:42 PM, Galabar said:

Watching some of the Aquarium Co Op videos, I think Cory mentioned that he saw his cherry shrimp through the ice in one of his ponds (and they were fine)?

surviving does not mean fine. A tub covered with ice is an environment far from ideal for neocaridinas. But they can tolerate bad conditions for a period because they are very hardy creatures.

I got my shipped package of neos and the shrimp bag was exploded. There were many juveniles staying alive stuck between the bag pieces with a few water drops, all made it alive. They were alive, but it was not fine.

Like I know people kept a goldfish in a 1g bowl for his entire life and he lived around 7 years. It was alive but it was not fine. That is a huge difference in my opinion

Edited by Lennie

On 5/13/2023 at 1:42 PM, Galabar said:

Watching some of the Aquarium Co Op videos, I think Cory mentioned that he saw his cherry shrimp through the ice in one of his ponds (and they were fine)?

They can definitely get pretty cold.  I wouldn't keep it in ice or anything.  You likely can get away without a heater in most places indoors, but it's not really optimal for overall growth.  From the research papers I had found it seemed like the "sweet spot" in terms of nutrition, size, development, and colony population was all about 72-76 or right around there.   There's some studies that focused on growth of the colony and population, others that focused on the size that individual shrimp grew to, and others that just focused on extremes and what they could handle. 

Ponds can be a bit hit or miss in terms of clarity though.  Things like location, material, air temp, water movement, insulation of the structure, and so many other things play a role.  Rachel O'Leary did a lot of work with ponds with shrimp and I am sure others have as well.  The only one I can think off the top of my head would be LRB.