Co-op Sponges reusable?

Kira

Hello Everyone i have a few Co-op Sponge's that been out of commission for a while due to a move i was wondering if they are reusable if they been dried in storage for good 10 month 1yr plus and if so how do i go about washing them out good making sure no contamination and putting them back in commission. 

• Like 1

that's a good question if it was me I would rinse it out with tap water then soak it in peroxide rinse again then soak it in a bowl of tank water for about ten minutes to 15 minutes then reuse it in your tank but that's me others might have other ideas what to do that is  if it was used once before and not put in a box but left out  to gather dust if used and put in a box then I would just wet it down with tap water and soaked in tank water for 10-15 minutes then put in tank

I would rinse them in tap water to remove any dust or debris, I would put them straight into use after the rinse.  No need to peroxide them or anything.  If there was any disease in the tank or any black beard algae, I would soak them in 50% peroxide, then rinse and use.  They will not go straight back to full capacity but will likely have some spores of beneficial bacteria remaining and will probably cycle quicker than brand new filters as long as you don’t have to soak them in peroxide.