Algae growing on substrate

I've added plants to my cycled 7-month-old 10-gallon tank. I attached an image of the plants I ordered. I used Easy Root Tabs and also use the Easy Green Fertilizer. I follow the directions for the Easy Green and try to keep my nitrates around 50 ppm.

I have begun to see algae forming around the places where I planted and also where I attached the Java Moss to the temple decoration. The mico swords haven't done that well but it may be an error in handling them while planting. All other plants seem healthy. I didn't plant anything on the left side of the tank and there is no algae there.

I have a full-spectrum light that I use for about 10 hours a day.

I watch my parameters closely:

PH - 7.2
Ammonia  - 0
Nitrites - 0
GH - 150
Chlorine - 0
KH - 40

I also have three pretty big mystery snails. Not sure if this type of algae is something they can tackle. So far not really.

Ideas?

IMG_3059.jpg

IMG_3060.jpg

IMG_3061.jpg

Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 12.06.02 PM.png

Edited by schmofam

I think floating surface plants would help. I have a dwarf lilly that puts pads up to the surface and also a lot of floating plants, and I struggle to grow any algae even though I leave a light on for 12+ hours. I would recommend getting some floaters, duckweed, amazon frogbit, salvinia or water lettuce.

hope this helps 😊

Firstly, beautiful tank. 

Mystery snails aren't really great algae eaters. Consider them another wet pet, like fish. They DO require their diet to be supplemented with snail foods either specific to them or foods like Repashy, algae wafers and blanched veggies. They do eat SOME but it's not enough variety for them to remain healthy and live long lives. They won't keep a spotless tank. I would highly recommend a Nerite snail- they are allmost primarily surface algae eaters and don't often take to commercial foods but it's good to try with them as well (plus they don't reproduce, however females will leave behind eggs which some keepers don't like). The tanks I keep mine in are generally the most spotless! 

Light is only one contributor to algae growth. Adjusting time can help. I would recommend 8-10 hours max. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1

Your root tabs are leaching into the water column causing an unnecessary amount of nutrients in the water. I wouldn't use them with your substrate choice. I would do multiple 50% water changes to bring those numbers down. Unfortunately, the tabs will leach for a while. 

Why would he recommend 50ppm NO3? Completely unnecessary especially in a low energy system.

On 5/12/2023 at 3:37 PM, schmofam said:

@Mmiller2001- That makes sense about the leaching. From what information I got from this video, she suggests around 40-50ppm for good plant growth.

You can have good plant growth with much lower NO3 totals. I would put the money saved from dosing less nutrients into more plants. 😁

I lost a guppy this weekend. Super bummed. Two little buddies used to swim around with each other, but now only one. I did a 50% water change to bring down the Nitrate and doing a 25% today. I think what I have learned from researching online, going to fish stores, etc. is that there is so much information out there, and a lot of it says the opposite of the other. It's hard to navigate.

On 5/15/2023 at 11:19 AM, schmofam said:

I think what I have learned from researching online, going to fish stores, etc. is that there is so much information out there, and a lot of it says the opposite of the other. It's hard to navigate

This is one of the beautiful things about the forum. We have all been in one situation or another where so much conflicting information exists we get overwhelmed. 
Here we can get to know one another and find someone who has dealt with a situation like ours in similar circumstances to ours and get more personalized help specific to our unique situation. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1