Friends fish - Is this pineconing?

Goldie Blue

Best friend recently bought a betta for her mother-in-law. I have dealt with a lot of crazy betta stuff, but am not familiar enough with pineconing to know if this is what is going on? I advised her to start on aquarium salt until we find out more, and can take her some Kanaplex or Maracyn tomorrow if it's dropsy. Any thoughts would be great!

Image_20230510_1834568960142616726177289.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 9:25 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Sadly yes, this is pretty bad pineconing. 

Pineconing is a symptom and oftentimes it can be too late to treat. Not saying don't, but be prepared for a bumpy ride. I've not successfully treated Dropsy myself.

Yeah, I was afraid it was. They have only had him about a week and a half. I have never dealt with dropsy, but I know it's usually not a good outcome 😞

I'll take her the Kanaplex and Maracyn tomorrow.

• Like 2

On 5/10/2023 at 7:03 PM, Goldie Blue said:

I advised her to start on aquarium salt until we find out more, and can take her some Kanaplex or Maracyn tomorrow if it's dropsy. Any thoughts would be great!

All of those. yes.

Do not feed the fish for at least 5-7 days to help it pass anything internally.

If you can, try to get a photo from the side as well.

On 5/10/2023 at 10:45 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

If you can, try to get a photo from the side as well.

These are the best she could get right now. She said since I pointed it out, she put her glasses on and looked close and can definitely see the pineconing. Poor thing was probably already sick when she bought it. 

PXL_20230510_230539852.TS_exported_7636_1683780276103.jpg

PXL_20230510_225721388~2.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 9:54 PM, Goldie Blue said:

These are the best she could get right now. She said since I pointed it out, she put her glasses on and looked close and can definitely see the pineconing. Poor thing was probably already sick when she bought it. 

It's not nearly as bad as Ive seen on some bloated fish. Hopefully it will pass.

If it were Dropys the most effective treatment I have found is  aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons will help reduce the fluid buildup and metroplex in food feeding a small amount twice a day for upto 3 weeks and and dose the tank with kanaplex it a good antibiotic for treating kidney infection that can cause pineconing  @Goldie Blue

IMG_20230115_234815.jpg