Hygger Hg-999 vs Hygger Hg-957

Vítor

Mildly helpful:

999 vs. 978:
https://www.hygger-online.com/differences-in-the-led-light-between-hygger-978-and-999/

On the other side, 999 light would be a better option for freshwater tanks. As for planted tanks, it is determined by the light requirements of your aquatic plants. Provided that the aquatic plants in your tank need low light but high brightness, 999 light would be a better choice. Aside from that, it is feasible to add the 978 light for a 10-gallon aquarium containing plants requiring low, medium, or high light levels. Just check the light specifications before purchasing.

978 vs. 957:
https://www.hygger-online.com/how-does-the-hygger-957-light-compare-to-the-978-light/

Aside from that, the 957 light fits fish tanks and planted aquariums. As it can brighten the fish, but also promote photosynthesis and assist the growth of aquatic plants. On the other side, the 978 light is an excellent alternative to fish-only and planted tanks.

957 Light:  10% light intensity adjustments. optical sensor mode, 24/7 timer mode. Controller is on the light itself (might get damaged due to water). more LEDs and higher lumens.

999 Light:  10% light intensity adjustments. Updated controller in-line (on the cable, away from water). aluminum construction, water resistant (sealed), less lumens... probably a lot more efficient, but difficult to say.  Designed to fix light flicker issues (probably when recording tanks or photography).

Spectrum charts for both lights are a copy/paste and there is no difference among them.  I can't really speak to which is "better". 

957 looks like a row of each color of LEDs
Aquarium-Programmable-LED-Light-20W-for-12-to-18inch-Long-Fish-Tank-2-1-600x600.jpg.0af5729636bcca8e3e8da36ceaf805e0.jpg

the 999 looks to be a bit better designed for planted tanks.
Hygger-Auto-On-Off-LED-Aquarium-Light-600x600.jpg.7ae4f6a56033d892f11beb9f36459c79.jpg

Welcome to the forums @Vítor!

• Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 9:49 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Mildly helpful:

999 vs. 978:
https://www.hygger-online.com/differences-in-the-led-light-between-hygger-978-and-999/

978 vs. 957:
https://www.hygger-online.com/how-does-the-hygger-957-light-compare-to-the-978-light/

957 Light:  10% light intensity adjustments. optical sensor mode, 24/7 timer mode. Controller is on the light itself (might get damaged due to water). more LEDs and higher lumens.

999 Light:  10% light intensity adjustments. Updated controller in-line (on the cable, away from water). aluminum construction, water resistant (sealed), less lumens... probably a lot more efficient, but difficult to say.  Designed to fix light flicker issues (probably when recording tanks or photography).

Spectrum charts for both lights are a copy/paste and there is no difference among them.  I can't really speak to which is "better". 

957 looks like a row of each color of LEDs
Aquarium-Programmable-LED-Light-20W-for-12-to-18inch-Long-Fish-Tank-2-1-600x600.jpg.0af5729636bcca8e3e8da36ceaf805e0.jpg

the 999 looks to be a bit better designed for planted tanks.
Hygger-Auto-On-Off-LED-Aquarium-Light-600x600.jpg.7ae4f6a56033d892f11beb9f36459c79.jpg

Welcome to the forums @Vítor!

Where did you find that the 999,had less leds and lumens? Cause on Amazon i check both 26w and the leds and lumens were the same i think. But that was helpfull probably will get the 999

On 5/10/2023 at 10:03 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I have this one. Great for plants. I love 24/7 mode. Sunrise/day/moon/off. Auto adjusts brightness throughout the cycle as world occur in nature.

28301CAC-36B4-4F58-AC08-BD18F60AE923.jpeg

072D23A9-E6F3-42AE-91B7-9203DC669476.jpeg

That one is the 999 or 957? Your tank is looking nice btw!!

On 5/10/2023 at 3:55 PM, Vítor said:

Where did you find that the 999,had less leds and lumens? Cause on Amazon i check both 26w and the leds and lumens were the same i think. But that was helpfull probably will get the 999

It is on the links via the hyggar website.

Keep in mind that the newer one likely has a lot more white LEDs and likely has a lot better spectrum for plants.  Per their chart, they copied / pasted and didn't share that data with the customers.  Apart from what they shared in those links... unsure what else we can truly gleam from the LED array patterns.  The older light does seem to have a lot different LED structure compared to the newer versions.

This would be equivalent in some way to how the Aquasky light is different than the Planted 3.0 light for fluval.  One has a few more color channels, but in terms of LEDs (count and quality) it's very different.  Why hyggar didn't highlight this, I cannot say.

Edited by nabokovfan87

It’s so hard to judge these budget LED lights from the various brands. All these light are good but none of them seems to be in the same league as the Fluval or higher end Finnex ones. 

On 5/10/2023 at 1:49 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Mildly helpful:

😆 yes, somewhat helpful and feels like it was AI generated, Frustrating. 

• Haha 1

I have several 957s.  You can custom program them pretty easily.  I struggle with algae, but am searching for the correct intensity to keep it under control. 

Every tank I've got them on has plants pearling almost daily.  I don't think you'll have a "not enough light" situation.  I will say that the lights turn on/off differently.  A coupling of my newer ones will not disable the moonlight feature even in custom program.  But suspect I can fix it with a reset to defaults and disabling moonlight before custom program.  They also behave differently on startup after manual override or accidentally hitting a button.  To reset it into auto some of them turn right back to where they were.  Some go through the whole "sunrise" again.  Not a huge problem, but they are a bit jenky that way.  The 957s CANNOT be just and on/off light on a timer.  So be aware if that.  Don't know about the 999s.

image.jpeg.04b133c2898adb3c68148c2abe270670.jpeg

Edited by jwcarlson

I use a 957. It works great. I actually bought it over the 999 specifically for the controller being on the light itself not the cord, pretty much the opposite of what @nabokovfan87 suggested. I don't really like having to reach around to the back of my tank to adjust the light settings. I'm never really in a situation where the light is in contact with water, the lid is always in the way. (Dry state, we're pretty water conservation conscious here). I guess it's possible water could damage the light, but in my experience that hasn't happened in the two years I've been using the thing. I treat the light like it's a hair dryer over a bathtub. We always remove the light first if we're going to do anything that might require removing or adjusting the lid. Hasn't failed me yet.

It's a pretty good light overall. I like the LED screen, and I don't do enough with light timings to need much more than the sunrise/sunset ramping features. Grows Süßwassertang, Java fern varieties, Crypt Pink Flamingo, Amazon Swords, Anubias Nana, Hornwort, Java Moss, Crypt Lutia, and Dwarf Sag all perfectly well. I don't have a ton of pearling, but I do get some, and I'm overstocked a bit on fish.

On 5/10/2023 at 5:55 PM, jwcarlson said:

I have several 957s.  You can custom program them pretty easily.  I struggle with algae, but am searching for the correct intensity to keep it under control. 

It might be difficult, but I would suggest a riser. 6-8" if you can.  I just lifted mine.... what a difference.  The angle on the light changes as well, so at the front / back of the tank  So the front carpet for me was getting light at say... 35 degree refraction, but after lifting the light it's coming in at 20 degree refraction or something (not science exactly, but to give you an idea of why I see the difference in the lighting by lifting it).

On 5/10/2023 at 8:53 PM, Comradovich said:

I use a 957. It works great. I actually bought it over the 999 specifically for the controller being on the light itself not the cord, pretty much the opposite of what @nabokovfan87 suggested. I don't really like having to reach around to the back of my tank to adjust the light settings. I'm never really in a situation where the light is in contact with water, the lid is always in the way. (Dry state, we're pretty water conservation conscious here). I guess it's possible water could damage the light, but in my experience that hasn't happened in the two years I've been using the thing. I treat the light like it's a hair dryer over a bathtub. We always remove the light first if we're going to do anything that might require removing or adjusting the lid. Hasn't failed me yet.

Oh for sure! I can't speak to which is "better".  I was just saying that from an engineering of products side, that's very likely why they moved it.  My apologies if there was any indication as to which would work better!

On 5/11/2023 at 4:53 AM, Comradovich said:

It's a pretty good light overall. I like the LED screen, and I don't do enough with light timings to need much more than the sunrise/sunset ramping features. Grows Süßwassertang, Java fern varieties, Crypt Pink Flamingo, Amazon Swords, Anubias Nana, Hornwort, Java Moss, Crypt Lutia, and Dwarf Sag all perfectly well. I don't have a ton of pearling, but I do get some, and I'm overstocked a bit on fish.

Do you think it can grow some Montecarlo and Ludwigias?

On 5/11/2023 at 3:38 AM, Vítor said:

Do you think it can grow some Montecarlo and Ludwigias?

I would guess that it can. I'm growing Amazon Sword, Red Melon Sword, and Crypt Pink Flamingo, which all have similar "Moderate" lighting needs to the Montecarlo. I'd look at the specifics of whatever type of Ludwigia you were looking to grow, though. I know L. Repens will grow in a moderate light, but requires a high lighting to really flourish. As a light, the 957 is a relatively cost effective option, but it's by no means the very best option. If you have a few hundred to spend, I'm sure @Bentley Pascoe could probably recommend a better one. For around $40, though? It's a very solid light.

Also look into your substrate options. I'm growing on sand w/ root tabs. This means my C. Pink Flamingo isn't exactly exploding in growth, but it is spreading out from the initial root tab placement. It would take more advantage of my light if it had a bit more root fertilizer. EZ-Green is doing wonderful things for my epiphytes, but it doesn't get much sand or gravel penetration that I can see. You could layer aquasoil beneath a sand or gravel substrate. You could also adopt the MD Fish Tanks method of filling a filter media bag with aquasoil and burying that where you plan on planting a root feeding plant. Both methods work well without requiring you to completely cover the bottom in Fluval Stratum or the like. Your inputs on the plant equation are lighting, fertilizer, and water quality (GH, KH, micronutrient density, etc).

On 5/10/2023 at 9:57 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Oh for sure! I can't speak to which is "better".  I was just saying that from an engineering of products side, that's very likely why they moved it.  My apologies if there was any indication as to which would work better!

Oh, you're fine. Yeah, I was one of those Dan's orders that got stuck in Memphis Monday night. Bit cross with UPS right now, would've been faster/safer to just chuck it on an 18 wheeler headed down the interstate. I think everyone else is catching unintended fire when they cross my path. I only have one survivor of a tiger teddy pair, so I've gotta hope little "Sauron-ette" got knocked up in Dan's quarantine tank.

On 5/11/2023 at 5:06 PM, Shadow said:

I have a couple of their lights, but haven't been very impressed with anything they have to offer as of yet. As @Patrick_G said, they just seem to fail in comparison to other lights like Fluval or more expensive options. 

If i had the money to spend on a fluval i probably would but i think between the the twinstar B series that was the one i was wondering to get,im probably going for the Hygger 999 just because 957 is not that easy to find in my zone 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2023 at 10:13 AM, Vítor said:

If i had the money to spend on a fluval i probably would but i think between the the twinstar B series that was the one i was wondering to get,im probably going for the Hygger 999 just because 957 is not that easy to find in my zone 

You do get a lot for you money and you can always add a second light later if necessary. 

Two mid priced options: 

Fluval Aquasky and the new Aquarium Co-op light both are priced somewhere between a Hygger and a Fluval 3.0

• Love 1

On 5/11/2023 at 8:41 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

No idea, sorry ☹️ The product description doesn’t say. & thank you! 2 tanks are pictured there. Both with Hygger 24/7 mode light.

image.png.8a16860151ef1ee4de5f7c671c1ab637.png

It's on the underside of the light, the black label where it says "hygger"

this is the 978 one.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Thanks 1

On 5/11/2023 at 7:17 PM, Patrick_G said:

You do get a lot for you money and you can always add a second light later if necessary. 

Two mid priced options: 

Fluval Aquasky and the new Aquarium Co-op light both are priced somewhere between a Hygger and a Fluval 3.0

Aquasky in here is about 100€ so probably the hygger is better

On 5/10/2023 at 4:03 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I have this one. Great for plants. I love 24/7 mode. Sunrise/day/moon/off. Auto adjusts brightness throughout the cycle as world occur in nature.

28301CAC-36B4-4F58-AC08-BD18F60AE923.jpeg

072D23A9-E6F3-42AE-91B7-9203DC669476.jpeg

Link doesn't work.

On 5/11/2023 at 2:28 PM, Vítor said:

Aquasky in here is about 100€ so probably the hygger is better

Is it correct that you are judging the quality of a light based off the price ?

On 5/11/2023 at 1:17 PM, Patrick_G said:

Two mid priced options: 

My problem with the co-op light is that it has limited settings also (and more important to me) it doesn't have a sunrise/sunset and if you have fishes easily startled by the light jumping on at full from off then it is not a great option - other than that the speces seem good but i haven't checked it for colour balance et all and since you can't adjust the balance you either like it or not.

-

I'm not happy with the aquasky; the fluval 3.0 was my go to light but it is a bit yellow and i've not found an adjustment that is more neutral. I'm pretty happy (so far) with the new ai blade BUT it is not sealed like the fluval 3.0; does not have a 3 year warranty like the fluval 3.0 and is about the same price. It is quite a bit stronger - so this is definitely a high end light - similar to wrgb 2 and twinstar - maybe a little cheaper - not sure haven't compared them. I've not used the twinstar but was very unhappy with the wrgb 2 (though a lot of folks like it). All of these are overkill lights for your application so mentioning is probably not to helpful other than to state i would not buy the aquasky. 

On the less expensive side of things a lot of people like the beamworks (not claiming it is better or worse than the various hygger models; just mentioning it as an alternative).

-

When comparing lights be sure to compare the same size (length) - sometime people make mistake and end up comparing two models at  different length which will mess up the comparison.

-

One thing you can do is search the model you are looking at and "par" to see if someone has measured par at various depths. 'par' is considered a more useful value than lumens.

On 5/12/2023 at 1:24 AM, anewbie said:

My problem with the co-op light is that it has limited settings also (and more important to me) it doesn't have a sunrise/sunset and if you have fishes easily startled by the light jumping on at full from off then it is not a great option - other than that the speces seem good but i haven't checked it for colour balance et all and since you can't adjust the balance you either like it or not.

-

I'm not happy with the aquasky; the fluval 3.0 was my go to light but it is a bit yellow and i've not found an adjustment that is more neutral. I'm pretty happy (so far) with the new ai blade BUT it is not sealed like the fluval 3.0; does not have a 3 year warranty like the fluval 3.0 and is about the same price. It is quite a bit stronger - so this is definitely a high end light - similar to wrgb 2 and twinstar - maybe a little cheaper - not sure haven't compared them. I've not used the twinstar but was very unhappy with the wrgb 2 (though a lot of folks like it). All of these are overkill lights for your application so mentioning is probably not to helpful other than to state i would not buy the aquasky. 

On the less expensive side of things a lot of people like the beamworks (not claiming it is better or worse than the various hygger models; just mentioning it as an alternative).

-

When comparing lights be sure to compare the same size (length) - sometime people make mistake and end up comparing two models at  different length which will mess up the comparison.

-

One thing you can do is search the model you are looking at and "par" to see if someone has measured par at various depths. 'par' is considered a more useful value than lumens.

Thanks, you helped a lot!!

On 5/12/2023 at 1:14 AM, anewbie said:

Link doesn't work.

Is it correct that you are judging the quality of a light based off the price ?

For sure if i don't wanna spend one Hundred euros on a light , the aquasky is already not an option.So the Hygger for what i want is better. You cant compare a car the cost ten thousand euros with a Ferrari.