Assassin Snails

sairving

After trying to keep the bladder snail population under control in my tank, I gave up and bought two assassin snails last weekend. 

My lfs said they will eat leftover food once all bladder snails are gone. What else should I be feeding them?

Edited by sairving

You do not need to worry to over much about feeding. Once mine crushed the bladder population in several tank I worried. However they are still reproducing and eat pretty much all leftover food. 
I only occasionally see them eat food I offer specific to them. Oddly enough they like spirulina based foods as well as meaty and I’ve even seen them chowing on a zucchini for my pleco. 
So once the bladder populations are controlled a light feed of extra fish food works well. 

• Like 2

On 5/10/2023 at 1:26 PM, Lennie said:

Meaty foods.

However, if you happen to have male and/or a female that can/or already mated in the store, expect babies. They can breed a lot too

I have no idea if I have a male and female. Assassin snails seem like they would be easier to re-home if necessary.

On 5/10/2023 at 1:55 PM, cavdad45 said:

they need proteins, so let them scavenge frozen blood worms.  Everyone else in the tank will love it too.  Feed in the evening because, my experience has shown them to be more nocturnal

I have noticed them more active once the tank light is off for the day.