Creepy Critter πŸ˜¨πŸƒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈπŸƒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈπŸƒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈπŸƒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ

Lennie

Okay.

Me trying to breed my bettas. Fun, right. What a chill night it is. Or,,, it WAS.

@Fish FolkΒ suggested keeping lights on for 72 hours. Dimmed to the lowest, went upstairs to my tank check if the pair is doing alright.

And...............

There is this alien looking guy sitting on an anubias leaf?!

CREEPY.

I always dip my plants. The tank has a lid and it is in my bedroom. I always net my fish. I even use RO water. Aquasoil on bottom.

I'm so lost where and how it could came from.

What is this critter, and how can it even potentially end up in a tank with a lid on, dipped plants, and in my bedroom!

Would it hurt my shrimp and betta? Should I worry that there is more???!

There is only one snail, and I have that nerite for almost a year. So I don't think potentially it carried anything. The rest is just betta and shrimp.

@GuppysnailΒ @Biotope BiologistΒ any clue guys?

Here are the pics. I caught it with a tweezer:

IMG_5371.jpgIMG_5377.jpgIMG_5378.jpgIMG_5380.jpgIMG_5379.jpg

Β 

Β 

On 5/9/2023 at 11:23 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Oh no! Maybe you recently added plants? They can hitch a ride on them in the egg stage.Β 

That tank is fairly new. Around a month or so. However I alum dipped all my plants >_>Β 

• Like 1

@LennieΒ damselfly lay eggs by placing a slit in a leaf or stem. Then depositing eggs. Eggs are not always affected by alum as the casing protects the embryo.

Netting it is the best removal route. If it is not native euthanasia is the best option.Β 
They are fabulously interesting critters and adults are a thing of beauty but releasing non-natives is never good and trying to raise fry with a voracious predator in the tank is not realistic.Β 
Β 

They do not reproduce at that life stage.Β 

Also there may be a few more from the egg group or there may not be. Keep your eyes peeled. They like to burrow in substrate so vacuuming can assist in spotting and removing.Β 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

@Lennie, this may not be of much help but when we were testing Reverse Respiration, we ran into critters that looked very similar to yours.Β 

As we were then testing, I filmed them.

Keeping in mind, I never figured out what they were! But @GuppysnailΒ seemed to recognize them and is most likely correct. That test tank became infested with them. However, take a look at one of them after a standard, one-time levamisole treatment (the last video).Β See if it looks anything like yours:

Β 

Whatever they were, they hated levamisole. I hope this is of some help:

Β 

Β 

• Like 4

On 5/9/2023 at 11:56 PM, dasaltemelosguy said:

@Lennie, this may not be of much help but when we were testing Reverse Respiration, we ran into critters that looked very similar to yours.Β 

As we were then testing, I filmed them.

Keeping in mind, I never figured out what they were! But @GuppysnailΒ seemed to recognize them and is most likely correct. That test tank became infested with them. However, take a look at one of them after a standard, one-time levamisole treatment (the last video).Β See if it looks anything like yours:

Β 

Whatever they were, they hated levamisole. I hope this is of some help:

Β 

Β 

Having hard time looking at these lol πŸ˜„Β 

I have levamisole but I cant dose because of shrimp :')Β 

• Like 2

On 5/10/2023 at 1:09 AM, dasaltemelosguy said:

Β 

I know, they creeped me out too!

Then @Guppysnail sent me leeches.  I'll let you know how that went once I get out of therapy!🀣

I accepted @GuppysnailΒ as she is.

She has interesting likings especially when it comes to critters and worms πŸ˜„

• Haha 2

@GuppysnailΒ et. Al are correct! That is a damselfly larvae. As stated above they cut slits into the stems of plants to lay their eggs. Depending on what time of year they were laid (layed?) they can lie dormant for months.Β 
Β 

Reason they are unaffected by these treatments is because they then seal the plant back up. Often growing around the unwanted eggs. Same can be said for some Florida Killifish as well!Β 
Β 

Definitely very Chestburster-like

Β 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1