Crayfish Parasites

Yesterday I picked up a pair of procambarus clarkii from my LFS. A local school accidentally ordered 100 extra than they needed and gave them to the store. Not sure we’re they were originally purchased from but they are sold as food livestock. The tank they were put in had nothing but ramshorns and the day after they were added I saw a ton of planaria the next day

I was looking at one today and noticed he has small worms coming out of every joint I. The exoskeleton. Any advice of parasite treatment for crayfish. 

I’m not familiar with crayfish care. I kept wild caught when I was a kid. Very awesome critters. 
They should be affected by the same things as shrimp. *should*
Folks use no planaria with shrimp to rid planaria so that may be safe. Maybe search the web to see if others have used it with crayfish. The no planaria should affect many types of worms not just planaria. 

• Like 1

Wild crayfish often have things living on their carapace. I’d assume no less from livestock crayfish seeing the ponds they raise them in. Not necessarily parasitic in nature. Some may be beneficial eating the algae off their shells and removing dead skin. It’s free real estate. Why put yourself at risk of being eaten when you can hitch a ride on a giant scary crayfish?!?

Parasites tend to live close to the eyestalks and under the tail near the vent. At least on their marine cousins.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2023 at 10:30 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

Wild crayfish often have things living on their carapace. I’d assume no less from livestock crayfish seeing the ponds they raise them in. Not necessarily parasitic in nature. Some may be beneficial eating the algae off their shells and removing dead skin. It’s free real estate. Why put yourself at risk of being eaten when you can hitch a ride on a giant scary crayfish?!?

Parasites tend to live close to the eyestalks and under the tail near the vent. At least on their marine cousins.

That’s actually how I spotted them, their is a bunch coming out the eye stocks, and a cluster coming out the center of the rostrum. I am fairly certain these are parasites and if they are spread out this badly I assume it’s too late for the crawdads, but I figured I’d put it up here.