Need opinions on this hard scape

RennjiDK

On 5/8/2023 at 3:54 PM, Ninjoma said:

I like the structure. I would consider using rocks that contrast more with the wood though. They kinda blend in as is. 

Ohko wasn't my first choice, but it's all i have available atm.

• Like 1

The stone (especially the right piece) gets lost in the tank due to color but also placement. 

The wood is fantastic! I would try to orient the rocks in such a way to show some texture / contrast in texture  The way you have the wood over the rocks reminds me of branches growing "through" a pile of rocks.... as such, what I tend to do is to setup the rockscape first, then add the wood.  Maybe that helps, but maybe not.

I would play with orientation (or even type if you can).  The wood is what I would say is 90% perfect. Just need to play with rocks.

sidenote: see how you feel about the tank without that piece of wood on the right.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Thanks 1

On 5/8/2023 at 5:25 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

The stone (especially the right piece) gets lost in the tank due to color but also placement. 

The wood is fantastic! I would try to orient the rocks in such a way to show some texture / contrast in texture  The way you have the wood over the rocks reminds me of branches growing "through" a pile of rocks.... as such, what I tend to do is to setup the rockscape first, then add the wood.  Maybe that helps, but maybe not.

I would play with orientation (or even type if you can).  The wood is what I would say is 90% perfect. Just need to play with rocks.

sidenote: see how you feel about the tank without that piece of wood on the right.

They piece on the right is much larger than it appears, and cannot be removed without taking the middle with it. I do have some more Ohko I can add. I should mention that it is still covered in dirt at this stage and once washed, it won't be as hidden by the spiderwood.

20230508_153357.jpg

On 5/8/2023 at 5:46 PM, Patrick_G said:

Nice work, the wood is the star of the show in this layout, the rocks get lost, but they’re necessary as anchors for the wood. 
How big is the tank? I’m a big fan of all in ones, the one looks really nice. 

Thanks! The display is basically a 60p except an inch shorter in height at 13". It's a nuvo 20g high tech setup.

• Like 2

On 5/8/2023 at 2:47 PM, RennjiDK said:

They piece on the right is much larger than it appears, and cannot be removed without taking the middle with it. I do have some more Ohko I can add. I should mention that it is still covered in dirt at this stage and once washed, it won't be as hidden by the spiderwood.

20230508_153357.jpg

Yeah, the dark blue one.

On 5/8/2023 at 6:10 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Yeah, the dark blue one.

No, it can't come out. It's as big as the standing one. The red and yellow are just palm sized sticks attached to it for some more detail. I would just have the "stump" one and a 2/3 empty tank.

On 5/8/2023 at 5:54 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

I dig it! The real question is, do you like it? You’re gonna be the one looking at it everyday!

I like it. I played around with it some more and couldn't fine the right piece of okho to add. The stones are just there for support anyways. This tank is going to be HEAVILY planted.

I settled on a final design and flooded it. Now it's 3 weeks of dark cycling before draining and planting.20230508_190651.jpg.b6782e442eefefc71fd2ee8bc6a31141.jpg20230508_190822.jpg.d6d49e4b89b1024a15cb41743c99c4da.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 3

On 5/8/2023 at 4:12 PM, RennjiDK said:

No, it can't come out. It's as big as the standing one. The red and yellow are just palm sized sticks attached to it for some more detail. I would just have the "stump" one and a 2/3 empty tank.

This is a very common "island style" aquascape.  There is also some triangle style scapes that are similar.

The tank looks great, looking forward to planting!

I could use some help picking out the plants as well. I don't know if things just look bad in Scapeit, or if I'm just bad at plant selection. I know I want a carpet of Cuba, tons of chocolate buce on the hardscape, and lots of stems.

Screenshot_20230508_195526_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/8/2023 at 8:00 PM, Patrick_G said:

Oh boy, that’s a primo setup. I’m digging the little Kessils! 

They're great. I was worried that the A80s wouldnt be enough, but now I'm glad I didn't get the 160s. They make a ton of par together (for a planted tank that is). Im also running a mighty jet dc return pump, aquael heater/inkbird, gla paintball co2 reg w/ inline diffuser, reefbreeders prism ato, and a gallon of marine pure spheres in the sump.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2023 at 5:08 PM, RennjiDK said:

They're great. I was worried that the A80s wouldnt be enough, but now I'm glad I didn't get the 160s. They make a ton of par together (for a planted tank that is). Im also running a mighty jet dc return pump, aquael heater/inkbird, gla paintball co2 reg w/ inline diffuser, reefbreeders prism ato, and a gallon of marine pure spheres in the sump.

😃 oh wow, the plants better grow well with all that cool gear behind them. 
This is more or less my dream 60p nature aquarium setup. 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2023 at 7:36 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

This is a very common "island style" aquascape.  There is also some triangle style scapes that are similar.

The tank looks great, looking forward to planting!

Thanks. I'm familiar with aquascaping layouts, and I'm actually subscribed to greenaqua. It's just not a large enough piece for that style of scape. There's a lot of forced perspective going on with the other pieces that makes it appear larger and more detailed, but on its own, it just looks like a pole stuck in the substrate.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2023 at 3:02 AM, RennjiDK said:

I could use some help picking out the plants as well. I don't know if things just look bad in Scapeit, or if I'm just bad at plant selection. I know I want a carpet of Cuba, tons of chocolate buce on the hardscape, and lots of stems.

Screenshot_20230508_195526_Chrome.jpg

cuba is a bit needy. Has smaller roots so does not hold as good as monte carlo, also needs a good substrate, light and preferably co2. If you want something easier, I would consider montecarlo instead. You don’t seem to have aquasoil right?

The rock on the right seems to have wandered of and gotten lost.  I would move it back with it's friends.  The thin edge could be partially buried under that dominant root, or perhaps run parallel to the root implying motion. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/9/2023 at 3:47 AM, Lennie said:

cuba is a bit needy. Has smaller roots so does not hold as good as monte carlo, also needs a good substrate, light and preferably co2. If you want something easier, I would consider montecarlo instead. You don’t seem to have aquasoil right?

I've tried 2 new substrates this build. I did tabs on the bottom covered with a good layer of AF Natural Substrate, and that is capped with AF Black Lava Soil. They are both active substrates.

On 5/9/2023 at 7:13 PM, RennjiDK said:

I've tried 2 new substrates this build. I did tabs on the bottom covered with a good layer of AF Natural Substrate, and that is capped with AF Black Lava Soil. They are both active substrates.

I wouldn't do cuba without actual aquasoil with high tech setup myself but if you wanna try sure.

Just make a good research because plants aren't cheap and to carpet you need several pots, and planting carpeting plants lateron can be a bit challenging in my experience.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2023 at 12:17 PM, Lennie said:

I wouldn't do cuba without actual aquasoil with high tech setup myself but if you wanna try sure.

Just make a good research because plants aren't cheap and to carpet you need several pots, and planting carpeting plants lateron can be a bit challenging in my experience.

I have 2 Kessils and inline co2 injection. Doesn't get more high tech than that, lol. 

The AF Natural is what I would describe as potting soil mixed with powder type Amazonia. The Lavasoil is volcanic soil. It's like crushed lava rock with the consistency of a very coarse sand.

George Farmer reviews both of them here