Gourami Swimming funny and lying down

maxjkunz

We just brought home a blue Gourami less than 24 hrs ago and it is not swimming well. It moves around for a bit then tips over and lies on the ground. We prepped the tank before we got it home. Temp is about 75F. I have tested its levels and the ammonia is safe. Nitrate, Nitrite, Buffer, pH, and Chlorine are all low. The Hardness appears high. Any suggestions?

I'm sorry to read this. What are you exact water parameters? Do you know what the fish store's parameters are? How long has the tank been set up? Without any other information, it could be iridovirus dwarf gourami disease. I had a blue powder gourami randomly pass and I believe it was due to that disease. You can try aquarium salts and see if it helps. I'll let others with more experience chime in. Good luck!

Edited by CrashBandit05

On 5/8/2023 at 10:11 PM, maxjkunz said:

Thanks for the response everyone. I do have living plants as well as 6 Tetras that are all perky. Yes to rapid breathing. It doesn't seem to be eating much.

If you can I would quarantine and treat with aquarium salt if you don't have a quarantine tank it might be worthwhile doing a course of maracyn if your seeing no improvement