Algae wafer's or pellet based food with 75% or higher algae content

Colu

I have been doing research into dietary requirements for my bristlenose plecos who are algaevores the best algae wafer's I have found are EBO spirulina tabs containing 30% spirulina which I use as my staple food alongside EBO  veggie sticks that are 50%peas and 50%pumpkin fibre I use repashy super green and soilent green but they don't list the percentage of spirulina or chlorella algae looking for something with higher algae content most standard algae wafer's only contain 6% algae I want to try a diet as close to 75% algae as possible to try and replicate there natural diet if anyone no's of any foods with a high percentage of algae let me not I can't find anything with better percentage than my EBO spirulina tabs 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

Idk the percentages but NLS Algae Max Wafers has Chlorella, Ulva Seaweed, Red Seaweed, Kelp, Spirulina, and Wakame Seaweed. Not sure it meets your expectation as spirulina is on the lower side of the list but maybe you can check it out!

But I have to mention, my fish LOVE NLS products but only snails were into Algaemax.

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2023 at 1:18 PM, Lennie said:

Idk the percentages but NLS Algae Max Wafers has Chlorella, Ulva Seaweed, Red Seaweed, Kelp, Spirulina, and Wakame Seaweed. Not sure it meets your expectation as spirulina is on the lower side of the list but maybe you can check it out!

But I have to mention, my fish LOVE NLS products but only snails were into Algaemax.

I just looked it up and it doesn't list the percentage of algae on its list of ingredients that's what am finding with a lot of food I have looked into 

Edited by Colu

On 5/8/2023 at 5:10 AM, Colu said:

I use repashy super green and soilent green but they don't list the percentage of spirulina or chlorella algae

I cannot find the article / statement where I gathered the information doing my research on the same question. I assume it was a Facebook post. The recipe is very similar but super green has more spirulina content. Soilent green has krill, squid, and fish meal while super green does not and is vegan.

In terms of what has the highest amount I have found two options, one with and one without spirulina.

The first is NLS Algaemax (with) and the other is Northfin cichlid veggie (without).

On 5/8/2023 at 5:10 AM, Colu said:

EBO spirulina tabs 

Might be your best option.

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2023 at 3:22 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I cannot find the article / statement where I gathered the information doing my research on the same question. I assume it was a Facebook post. The recipe is very similar but super green has more spirulina content. Soilent green has krill, squid, and fish meal while super green does not and is vegan.

In terms of what has the highest amount I have found two options, one with and one without spirulina.

The first is NLS Algaemax (with) and the other is Northfin cichlid veggie (without).

Might be your best option.

I don't no why they don't list the percentage of the main ingredients in their food its like they have something to hide  If theirs no better option I will get spirulina and chlorella powder and make up my own mix with repashy super green and keep using EBO spirulina tabs as my main  food 

I don't know what percentages are in what food, but I CAN tell you that my bristlenoses a) primarily eat canned green beans, and b) love repashy morning wood. Morning Wood has a whopping 50% max fibre and if you scan the ingredients there is no fish or seafood components. It's as veggie as you can get. 

I also like the Xtreme Scrapers pellet. it breaks down very slowly which I like. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2023 at 5:16 PM, TOtrees said:

I don't know what percentages are in what food, but I CAN tell you that my bristlenoses a) primarily eat canned green beans, and b) love repashy morning wood. Morning Wood has a whopping 50% max fibre and if you scan the ingredients there is no fish or seafood components. It's as veggie as you can get. 

I also like the Xtreme Scrapers pellet. it breaks down very slowly which I like. 

I am looking for a 75% or more in algae to replica a more natural diet similar to what they eat in nature 

Edited by Colu

@Colu They do sell spirulina tabs, no binders or anything like that for human consumption.  You can use powder or that as a base for what you need.  They also sell the other ingredients you're looking for.  Best case, I am sure repashy will respond if you email them asking for the specific %.  My suggestion is going to be to start with repashy super green.  It is very likely, exactly what you're looking for.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2023 at 6:16 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

@Colu They do sell spirulina tabs, no binders or anything like that for human consumption.  You can use powder or that as a base for what you need.  They also sell the other ingredients you're looking for.  Best case, I am sure repashy will respond if you email them asking for the specific %.  My suggestion is going to be to start with repashy super green.  It is very likely, exactly what you're looking for.

I already use repashy super green and soilent green as it doesn't tell be the percentage of algae I will email them see what they say

I am just gonna make an assumption. I assume directly stating the ingredient percentage is not a must, unless the ingredient is named on the front side of the package. In that regard, it needs to be above a limit and the percentage needs to be stated on the ingredient list it seems. 

There was something like that on this site:

https://vetskitchen.co.uk/blogs/our-vet-know-how/a-simple-guide-to-reading-pet-food-labels

I've just noticed this while feeding Sera Spirulina Tabs and Tropical's free gifted 2gr spirulina flakes from my lfs. Both include the spirulina in their front package and both states the percentage of spirulina on the ingredient list 🤔

Tropical Super Spirulina Forte Pul 100 Gr. Bitkisel Yemler, Tropheus  Yemleri, Pul Yemler TropicalSera Spirulina Tabs Balık Yemi 24 Tablet Fiyatı

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2023 at 7:05 PM, Lennie said:

I am just gonna make an assumption. I assume directly stating the ingredient percentage is not a must, unless the ingredient is named on the front side of the package. In that regard, it needs to be above a limit and the percentage needs to be stated on the ingredient list it seems. 

There was something like that on this site:

https://vetskitchen.co.uk/blogs/our-vet-know-how/a-simple-guide-to-reading-pet-food-labels

I've just noticed this while feeding Sera Spirulina Tabs and Tropical's free gifted 2gr spirulina flakes from my lfs. Both include the spirulina in their front package and both states the percentage of spirulina on the ingredient list 🤔

Tropical Super Spirulina Forte Pul 100 Gr. Bitkisel Yemler, Tropheus  Yemleri, Pul Yemler TropicalSera Spirulina Tabs Balık Yemi 24 Tablet Fiyatı

The tropical spirulina tabs high percentage of spirulina algae at 36% Sera spirulina tabs have 24% spirulina and 16% sea algae both look to be good quality looking at the ingredients 

Just found tropical hi-algae with 52.4% algae from 5 different species of algae look to be the highest percentage algae wafer's I have found so far and with 5 different species of algae offers a good variety 

IMG_20230508_201949.jpg.8eec49d30c95f8d1c955c04fa8233b54.jpg

Screenshot_20230508-202022.jpg

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2023 at 10:25 PM, Colu said:

Just found tropical hi-algae with 52.4% algae from 5 different species of algae look to be the highest percentage algae wafer's I have found so far and with 5 different species of algae offers a good variety 

IMG_20230508_201949.jpg.8eec49d30c95f8d1c955c04fa8233b54.jpgIMG_20230508_202045.jpg.3a6111d40eed343e429b4e917bd1cdfa.jpg

It can be nice. Update us if you decide to use it!

On 5/8/2023 at 9:27 PM, Lennie said:

It can be nice. Update us if you decide to use it!

Am going to order some I Will give an update after I have been feeding it for a couple of weeks 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 5:28 AM, RennjiDK said:

Hikari seaweed extreme is 67%. Honestly, any higher than that, you would need to make your own food.

It is marketed for marine herbivores tho. No Chlorella, kelp, and spirulina

• Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 3:28 AM, RennjiDK said:

Hikari seaweed extreme is 67%. Honestly, any higher than that, you would need to make your own food.

Looking at the ingredients I don't think this would be suitable for freshwater  algaevores its aimed at saltwater fish 

Edited by Colu

They may not be main algae based but I like the veggie wafers from ken's fish to be very good. There the only ones around I have found that have actually veggies and alges both in them. I don't think on his sight they tell the exact amounts of each. I know it isn't the best info for what your doing but maybe a good treat wafee sometimes.

• Thanks 1

On 5/11/2023 at 2:45 AM, Guppysnail said:

If repashy can tell you the percent maybe add pure spirulina algae powder to that specific %. I add spirulina powder to all my repashy but not a specific % I just add a bit. 

I am considering getting spirulina and chlorella powder to add to my repashy super green to increase the percentage of algae in it I did email repashy but haven't heard back 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2023 at 9:28 PM, Guppysnail said:

I sure wish I could get this and the EBO in the states. I found EBO but it’s a seller that imported it and it was crazy expensive way beyond what I can afford. Tiny amount close to $100. 😲

Am sure I saw a company that supplies EBO  in the USA I will see if I can find the name 

On 5/17/2023 at 10:24 PM, Colu said:

Am sure I saw a company that supplies EBO  in the USA I will see if a can find the name 

Found it @Guppysnail

IMG_20230517_222546.jpg

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1