Brown Algae blues

It would be helpful to share your lighting schedule, fertilizer schedule, other plants, water parameters, etc...

Also, it doesn't look that bad. Some algae is healthy. I can't name a stream, river, or pond that doesn't have algae

How long has the tank been set up, and how long are your lights on per day?

Sometimes stressed/sickly plants will be plagued by algae even in a low-algae-causing environment, but usually algae is caused by too much light or too much of the wrong nutrients in the water.

I don't mind some algae and never try to eliminate it all, but your photo shows a degree of algae coverage that suggests something is off balance and I would not leave it as-is. Either your fertilizer or your lighting needs changed.

I would start by following basic info for reducing algae but I would also cut off the leaves that are the most covered with that lumpy black stuff so the plant doesn't have to waste energy trying to fight it.

Here is some basic info about reducing algae. 

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/aquarium-algae

On 5/7/2023 at 10:21 AM, navy-tank said:

It would be helpful to share your lighting schedule, fertilizer schedule, other plants, water parameters, etc...

Also, it doesn't look that bad. Some algae is healthy. I can't name a stream, river, or pond that doesn't have algae

I have my light on for 8 hrs a day. Fertilizer is once a week when I do a 25% water change. I add one cap. Prime and stability. I use tap water. Water para's are in the typical.

Thanks,

On 5/7/2023 at 12:34 PM, PineSong said:

How long has the tank been set up, and how long are your lights on per day?

Sometimes stressed/sickly plants will be plagued by algae even in a low-algae-causing environment, but usually algae is caused by too much light or too much of the wrong nutrients in the water.

I don't mind some algae and never try to eliminate it all, but your photo shows a degree of algae coverage that suggests something is off balance and I would not leave it as-is. Either your fertilizer or your lighting needs changed.

I would start by following basic info for reducing algae but I would also cut off the leaves that are the most covered with that lumpy black stuff so the plant doesn't have to waste energy trying to fight it.

Here is some basic info about reducing algae. 

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/aquarium-algae

Thank you all for the information I think I will cut off the worst ones and use peroxide. on the others with a 3% dilution.

Looks like black beard algae to me. It can be tenacious, at one point it covered the edges of just about every Anubis in several of my tanks, but I’ve managed to get rid of it 100%. 

If I encounter it today I use the reverse respiration technique to clear it off the plants and then follow up by reducing light. Alternatively you could use an a product like Aquarium Co-op Easy Carbon. It contains an algicide that’s effective on black beard algae. It’s not my favorite chemical for long term use. I’ve used an initial to clear existing algae while I figure out what caused it in the first place. 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2023 at 5:28 PM, Patrick_G said:

Looks like black beard algae to me. It can be tenacious, at one point it covered the edges of just about every Anubis in several of my tanks, but I’ve managed to get rid of it 100%. 

If I encounter it today I use the reverse respiration technique to clear it off the plants and then follow up by reducing light. Alternatively you could use an a product like Aquarium Co-op Easy Carbon. It contains an algicide that’s effective on black beard algae. It’s not my favorite chemical for long term use. I’ve used an initial to clear existing algae while I figure out what caused it in the first place. 

Awesome I will look into that. thanks

• Like 1