Using USB nano air pump in 24" deep tank?

Midnight

So I have a tank that is 24" deep with a large sponge filter powered with a tetra whisper which is anything but a whisper it's noisy and rattles like crazy and I want to get a quieter air pump. The USB air pump interests me but I'm not sure if it will be able to push enough air that deep and power the sponge filter so  I'm hoping that someone with experience using them will be able to advice me if it is doable or not.

Edited by Midnight

• 1 month later...

@Maggie, what size sponge filter are you using in your tank? I ask because I'm trying to figure out if its sufficient running a small in a 20g or if I should use a bigger filter.  Conversely, I also want to run sponges on my 40g cube and was thinking running 2 small or maybe medium to increase filtration.  

It sounds like you got your answer, and I agree that I think it will be fine since I have one doing a great job in a 17" tank.  I just wanted to add that I took a plant weight, bent it into a S-shaped hook, and hung it on the back of the tank.  I then used the little snap ring that comes with the pump to hang it from that hook.  That puts the pump out of sight, and above the water line, so there's no danger of water siphoning out through the air line if the power goes out.  No need for a check valve.