What to do with remaining schooling fish?

Liddojunior

What do you do with a fish species when you have a tank with schooling fish but after years their numbers dwindle down?

I have some rasboras, but don't really want to buy more of this species and focus on other fish. I was hoping to take care of them until they naturally passed away. I kept them in a tank with some some ricefish.

Now that I only have a couple left, is it better to give them away? Or move them into a community tank with rasboras of a different species? I was thinking now that their school is gone that I should consider moving them. I think the highly energetic ricefish would be more stressful than a tank with other similar energetic fish. 

• Like 1

I would keep them as they are. As they have already lost some of their friends due to old age, and they are remaining, they have been spending quite the time there I believe. 

Moving fish into a whole new tank and making them go through a shipment/travel is a stress factor. And you don't know if X person will provide a better care for your fish friends really just because they will be in a bigger school.

I would personally not disturb the system they are used to live in all this time just to increase a school. Keep them and provide them the best care you can. It will be fine I believe

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I agree, leave them. My school of Chili Rasboras has gone done from 6 to 2 over a few years. The remaining fish are very healthy and don’t show any signs of stress. They also don’t take up much room so they’ll stay. 

• Like 2

You can always make a retirement tank.  29G or something off to the side for older fish.  Low stocking, just a place for them to swim around and enjoy their time with low stress.

My decision to keep them there or move them would be based on how densely planted the tank is.  Some of the feistier species like barbs and danio might go after smaller ones like rasbora or tetra when the numbers go down.

• Like 2