I have debating to start a channel about the science of tanks

krislegitl

This is in no way trying to compete with the great things that Cory makes, (Hiya bud!). I am in my masters program and realized that there has never really been a bridge between "professional scientist" and "Hobbyist". My goal is to try and marry these two so that people can converse and share the love of tanks and conservation with each other. I currently teach a number of classes, but the one I have enjoyed teaching the most is Intro to Tank Research and Aquaculture . It really lets me get into depth a lot of things that take an entire degree to get into a "big picture". Most of the topics I cover are geared towards the life of fish, conservation efforts and stability. I cover some more science driven topics like solubility of acids and bases (aka, pH) and Biostats, to some very hobby oriented things like tank design, horticulture, and (a personal favorite) Geology around you, "can I put it in my tank?" 

My biggest concern is how far my efforts will reach. I have already received both support and resistance from the scientific community when asked about whether or not to start this channel.  

So I need help from from the hobbyist community! If I were to start a channel, would you watch it? How long do you want videos to be? What topics would be the most useful? 

I have included this survey so if you wanted to fill it out, you can. If not, comment below! 

(If the hyperlink doesn't work, here is the link, https://forms.gle/EGYVz4Ts83794QDn7)

Edit: I figure it will come up at some point, I got my undergrad in environmental geology, with both minors in natural resources and zoology. My masters program is in limnology and closed system water chemistry research trying to develop an industry standard model for carrying capacity in aquariums.

Edited by krislegitl
Added the edit for clairification
  • Like 1
  • Love 6

Yes. Yes, yes, yes. Do it!!! I shall complete your questionnaire.

NANFA has loads of folks who crossover from Science to hobby (and sport fishing).

I recommend drafting a video series plan. You need to figure out if you are going for interest (short 5 min) or for depth (long 15-30 min).

Be yourself. I had a class of Conservation students over from Frostburg State University (MD) to my fishroom this week. It was great. They could have learned so much if they’d have just watched YouTube.

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Actually, there are some science peeps here that randomly nerd about some topics! You may be interested in reading them

Also for example, one of the well known hobbyist youtubers like Jason, from prime time aquatics also has Bachelor's Degree in Biology, a Master's Degree in Biotechnology and Chemical Science as well as a Graduate Certificate in Aquaculture and Fish Health. He also gives classes in uni too if I remember correctly.

Another channel I like is Freshwater Ichthyology. She is a ichthyologist, fishkeeper and PhD student. She studies the evolution of Loricariidae, worked in aquarium stores for 6 yrs as well. She has masters in Biosystematics.

I do enjoy hearing about the scientific perspective of stuff. 

My suggestion is, don't bother doing a survey. Give it a try. You never know without trying. At worst, do it as a hobby for yourself. If you don't try, you will always have a question on your head like, what if???

Go for it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Check out AQUAPROS too — studies in bacteria, if I recall:

https://youtube.com/@AQUAPROS

I’m not sure what all degrees she has, but Gianne over at Inglorious Bettas is / was a HS biology teacher if I remember correctly:

https://youtube.com/@Skylrrider

Also… get to know Johnathon Butkus. Great guy. Lover of science, frequent speaker, has a lot on the ball…

Another group you absolutely must get to know if the folks down at Conservation Fisheries in Knoxville, TN. We met up with Derek Wheaton who runs their live foods room. Great place! Super helpful guy. They're all degreed-up. 

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good idea! The ornamental fish hobby doesnt get nearly as much scientific attention as aquaculture, sport fishing and conservation, but the body of knowledge in those fields often can be transferred to the ornamental hobby. 

• Like 3

On 5/6/2023 at 10:24 AM, Fish Folk said:

Check out AQUAPROS too — studies in bacteria, if I recall:

https://youtube.com/@AQUAPROS

I’m not sure what all degrees she has, but Gianne over at Inglorious Bettas is / was a HS biology teacher if I remember correctly:

https://youtube.com/@Skylrrider

Also… get to know Johnathon Butkus. Great guy. Lover of science, frequent speaker, has a lot on the ball…

Another group you absolutely must get to know if the folks down at Conservation Fisheries in Knoxville, TN. We met up with Derek Wheaton who runs their live foods room. Great place! Super helpful guy. They're all degreed-up. 

Small world. My Masters is at North Carolina at Chapel Hill, The drive might be worth it!

• Love 2

On 5/6/2023 at 9:51 PM, krislegitl said:

Small world. My Masters is at North Carolina at Chapel Hill, The drive might be worth it!

Do it. Call them first, or message via facebook. Tell them a crazy hillbilly named "Dave" from Western Maryland put you up to it 😆

• Haha 1

The hobby is so full of “opinion posing a fact”.  A channel devoted to demystifying the how, what and why of the things we do would be so helpful. Just make sure it has content that is relatable to the non-scientist. 

• Like 1

I would love to check it all out! I attempted to sit in front of a screen and ramble (aka make a YT video) but it all felt awkward. I think being able to teach might give you a leg up on that front. 

Wish you luck! Maybe try to deliver it in whatever teaching style you employ at Uni. There are a handful of us in the hobby, I’d just say converting science to layman is tricky. Something pretty much my entire career outside college has been. And I still have a hard time engaging people so it may take a few attempts to get it right. Guess that’s a long winded way of saying don’t be afraid to fail. ☺️

Edited by Biotope Biologist
  • Like 2

On 5/6/2023 at 7:51 PM, krislegitl said:

I just left NC after spending 3 weeks there visiting fam, celebrating my dad's 80th, and having my MCAS develop into pneumonia 😝

UNC-CH was my mom's alma mater, my sis & dad went to NCSU, my sis for a forestry and wildlife management degree.

I answered your survey, and would love to see you succeed!

If you need some help getting started, info@traumahealingprevention.org has been helping people plan out their channel, learn about editing, and giving general support to increase the number of "positive impact channels" on YouTube after a study linked poor quality information with negative aspects and lack of mental wellness.

Can't wait to see what you develop!

• Like 2

Completed your survey form and looking forward to you starting your channel! Hopefully some topics will be on bare bottom tanks.

On 5/6/2023 at 11:28 PM, krislegitl said:

This is in no way trying to compete with the great things that Cory makes, (Hiya bud!). I am in my masters program and realized that there has never really been a bridge between "professional scientist" and "Hobbyist". My goal is to try and marry these two so that people can converse and share the love of tanks and conservation with each other. I currently teach a number of classes, but the one I have enjoyed teaching the most is Intro to Tank Research and Aquaculture . It really lets me get into depth a lot of things that take an entire degree to get into a "big picture". Most of the topics I cover are geared towards the life of fish, conservation efforts and stability. I cover some more science driven topics like solubility of acids and bases (aka, pH) and Biostats, to some very hobby oriented things like tank design, horticulture, and (a personal favorite) Geology around you, "can I put it in my tank?" 

My biggest concern is how far my efforts will reach. I have already received both support and resistance from the scientific community when asked about whether or not to start this channel.  

So I need help from from the hobbyist community! If I were to start a channel, would you watch it? How long do you want videos to be? What topics would be the most useful? 

I have included this survey so if you wanted to fill it out, you can. If not, comment below! 

(If the hyperlink doesn't work, here is the link, https://forms.gle/EGYVz4Ts83794QDn7)

Edit: I figure it will come up at some point, I got my undergrad in environmental geology, with both minors in natural resources and zoology. My masters program is in limnology and closed system water chemistry research trying to develop an industry standard model for carrying capacity in aquariums.

On 5/7/2023 at 8:46 AM, Ken Burke said:

The hobby is so full of “opinion posing a fact”.

This is very true!  But @krislegitl, as someone who has some background in science communication, you should be aware that people hold their opinions dear.  They also believe their opinions are based in fact and very often backed up by "science" even when the opposite is true.  It's not just in fish keeping, we see this in political discourse as well. Paradoxically, as science has nothing to offer in terms of values, we can observe this in belief about what should be done with data, not just what the data tells us directly. 

As such, I anticipate this channel will be an absolute lightning rod for online abuse.  Any doubts?  Two words: anoxic filtration.  Want two more that will cause fights more recently: water changes.  Even your supporters will turn on you on a dime if you go from pointing out data that supports their opinions, to "suddenly" "attacking" one held dear that does not.  If you can handle that, I say go for it! 

Sorry to be the wet blanket.  There are ways of approaching a topic to disarm those who would otherwise be offended - but that's not science, that's rhetoric.  😜 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

If it's something you feel needs to be done, do it.

If you are looking for some pay-out for doing it, you might want to think twice. Youtube channels are not profitable for most people.

That being said, the best information in the hobby comes from people just doing what they love and spreading it around.
If you love it, spread it around and have fun doing it.

• Love 1

On 5/8/2023 at 6:54 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

As such, I anticipate this channel will be an absolute lightning rod for online abuse.  Any doubts?  Two words: anoxic filtration.  Want two more that will cause fights more recently: water changes.

Yep! Those are two of ‘em. Here’s two more: quarantine and snails 🐌. Wanna see someone hit the roof, tell ‘em you rinse filters in tap water. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/8/2023 at 5:25 PM, Ken Burke said:

snails 🐌

I'm not sure science can help with the desire or not to have snails though.  It would be hard to gather data to refute "but I like their cute little faces" or "they just really creep me out".  😂

On 5/8/2023 at 5:25 PM, Ken Burke said:

Wanna see someone hit the roof, tell ‘em you rinse filters in tap water.

Totally!  Jason from Prime Tame Aquatics had the best video on that, where he literally sat on his computer and ran through articles.  One of my favorite FishTube vids out there!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/6/2023 at 11:28 AM, krislegitl said:

I am in my masters program and realized that there has never really been a bridge between "professional scientist" and "Hobbyist".

Not in fresh, but that's because it has a very low learning curve to get to a point where nitrification is taking place, and a lot of people are just uninterested in learning past that. It's a big part of the issue surrounding why a lot of the advice in FW is an echo chamber of WCs, NO3, and cycling. It's not until people get serious about planted tanks that they decide to learn more about macros, micros, and the general chemistry of their tanks. Saltwater is a completely different animal.

Edited by RennjiDK