37 Gallon tank ideas

Hmm . . . well . . . provided you are using the standard dimensions: 30 x 12 x x24 (L / W / H), it is a tank that will be rather tall for its base footprint. There are usually certain common problems with those designs. Although very nice to look at, the challenges you might face include (1) acquiring a penetrating light that will adequately grow plants, and (2) oxygenating the entire water column. Temperature is a consideration as well. The bottom of that tank may be a good bit cooler than the top unless you have very good water circulation.

A nice pair of Angelfish could work. I realize that many folks will argue for a larger tank. But the vertical run is a great space for Angels. A school of Bloodfin Tetras might complement Angels. A Bristlenose Pleco would stay busy "down-under" to complete the arrangement. 

I suppose I'd jam a pair of friendly Discus in there, with Cardinal Tetras and a Zebra Pleco. Just keep them warm!

If you're keen on trying a temperate (cool water) aquarium . . . I guess you could try a pair of Black Banded Sunfish with a Hill Stream Loach or two with a school of Rainbow Shiners.

• Love 1

@Fish Folk I was actually thinking pair of angels, or discus or possibly if set up properly a pair of goldfish for the time being I love the ideas you’ve presented

@Ninjoma

currently have:

guppies 

platies 

tiger limia 

blue finned goodeid 

dragon puffers 

pea puffers 

bristlenose plecos 

red lizard whiptails 

mekong puffers 

dojo loaches 

a single ornate bichir 

green Corydoras 

neocaridina shrimp

mystery snails 

hillstream loaches 

other things like ramshorns/ bladder snails 

I probably missed something but I’ve done quite a few other things over the years 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2023 at 7:37 PM, CJs Aquatics said:

currently have:

guppies 

platies 

tiger limia 

blue finned goodeid 

dragon puffers 

pea puffers 

bristlenose plecos 

red lizard whiptails 

mekong puffers 

dojo loaches 

a single ornate bichir 

green Corydoras 

neocaridina shrimp

mystery snails 

hillstream loaches 

I agree @Fish Folk then. Angelfish are the only fish that come to mind that have an affinity for super tall tanks. I would do something like:
-An angelfish
-A pair of german blue rams or apisto borellii
-A small school of rummnynose tetra or a pair of honey gourami
-Some bottom dwellers like kuhli loaches or orange  venezuelan corys

• Like 2

So.... the most important issue with that tank is going to be the hardscape.  The reason why I say that is because you need tall and long hardscape to fill the space.  It's very, very difficult to clean with the amount of hardscape you want to clean that tank.  Designing it in such a way so you can siphon the substrate is not easy.

Because of that, I recommend a few things......
A.  Soil substrate makes sense because you won't be siphoning that as much.
B.  Long branches of something like manzanita would work well.  A wood like mopani is too short / stumpy.  Ghostwood works but might be too large in diameter to reach.   Most other woods would be too compact to fill the space and give the plants a place to feel comfortable.
C.  Epiphytes are critical here to fill the space at height.... and having a strong light to reach the substrate is a major concern.  What this means is that you may end up using something that can handle high light, or tall plants in lieu of the traditional carpeting plants.  Something like S.Repens can be very hard to carpet with that height, while something like pearlweed might grow slightly tall enough to handle it.

I think pygmy corydoras wold do well in a tank of that size / scape.  They would interact with the hardscape in such a way that they would fill the space.  Same with some of your tetras, barbs, or other shoaling species.  Silvertip tetras, odessa barbs, cherry barbs, kabutai rasbora, green neons, those types of fish would add some like to multiple layers of the aquarium.  You will likely want and need to have a bottom, mid, and top dwelling fish.  Not having those three filled will likely make the tank feel empty or crowded in certain positions.

As far as some examples.... I would scape it something like this if possible.  Stem plants, epiphytes, etc.

Manzanita Wood in Aquarium: The Best Driftwood and How to Prepare It

r/Aquascape - Here is my setup video with beauty shots:

Getting the wood to fill that space isn't easy...

If you can. I would highly recommend a 40B or 60B or 75G in lieu of a 37G Tall.

• Thanks 1

Random though perhaps a relatively good sized caridina tank would work as well, like some crystal reds, the fill all areas of the water column and kinda set and forget, plus are probably relatively easy if you get them going to take to a LFS for some store credit, idk still debating, it’s not my favorite size tank but it’s the biggest i can put in the space I have set out for it 

• Like 1