Baby-Proofing a Whisper Filter

Saltinthedesert

I have this internal whisper filter (40i I believe) with lots of Endlers and yellow shrimp having babies. How do I modify the bottom to make it safe for the tiniest of critters?

I’ve heard “put some foam on it” but where? What kind of foam? Specifics are helpful. I don’t want to restrict the flow and burn the motor. 

Thanks. 

B0EDDCCE-A5F2-4EFB-9DB5-90E7F4592DF7.jpeg

image.jpg

D86B9192-C877-4EB2-A66E-6AD8F0E820EE.jpeg

I had one of those for a while. I popped the bottom off and added a piece of sponge behind the vent holes.

I used this sponge and cut a small piece, then cut just a thin sliver of it. It didn't bother the flow at all.

sponge-pad-coarse_240x.jpg?v=1590737902
WWW.AQUARIUMCOOP.COM

Coarse Foam Reusable Fits all Filters Coarse sponge pad is a replacement for throw away cartridges in aquarium filters. Not only are the cartridges costly, they are also bad for the environment. Coarse sponge pads can be reused...

• Like 3

You could get an Aquarium Co-Op coarse sponge, wrap it around the bottom and tie it in place. Or, if you have $20ish dollars to spend, get a sponge filter and air pump, let those run for a couple weeks and then pull your power filter. Then you have nothing mechanical that can suck up fry

• Like 2

Congrats on all of your babies, how exciting! 🙂 @akconklin said it best with the sponge at the bottom. Aqueon actually has filters like this now specifically for shrimp with a thin sponge covering the slots at the intake, so I don't see restricted flow being an issue with that solution. 

• Like 2