Cool Rare Hypancistrus plecos

Ethan63

Hello, I really have liked the L264, L333, and L134. I plan on breeding 2 of those. I don’t really have space for all 3 currently. Does anybody have any experience breeding any of those 3. How many is best. Where to get them. Thank you

• Like 1

Hello, welcome to the forums!

I forget who all has the nice plecos here.  I apologize, my brain is just mentally exhausted right now to compile the list.  There are a few people I know who does focus specifically on plecos.  I'll send you a DM with the directions on how to get in contact with them or which youtube channels to look into. 🙂

@Odd Duck does have some, but I don't think any of those L numbers mentioned. 

Let me see if I can dig up some others who have them or some related threads!

I have kept; L264 - Sultan Pleco , and L134 - Leopard Frog Pleco

Not the L333 - King Tiger Pleco

The breeding can take sometime to get them up to adulthood, if purchased as juveniles. If your willing to raise them up, 6+ will get you the way. As you can see this is a small investment; you can check and make sure breeding pair. Sell off the rest to recover from investment. I would recommend Dan's Fish if your looking for something. 

If your looking for specific breeding pairs. Aquabid (checking reviews) is your best outcome. That way you could see the fish for sale. You can always ask questions, what's tank setup, foods, etc. 

There are great videos from Dean, TM Aquatics, KeepingFishSimple, etc. Doing your research makes this the best possible outcome.

If you could find bristlenose ; super reds, blue eyed lemons, snow whites it may be something financially worth while. That way you can learn the process of shipping fish (if no LFS can't take them). Until you become more comfortable, best of luck. 

On 5/2/2023 at 1:25 AM, Saltinthedesert said:

I have a breeding group of L333. Maybe a dozen successful groups raised from eggs. Happy to answer questions. 

What temp is best to breed? Best food to feed adults and fry? How many should I get? 

On 5/2/2023 at 3:46 AM, H20 Plecos said:

If you could find bristlenose ; super reds, blue eyed lemons, snow whites it may be something financially worth while. That way you can learn the process of shipping fish (if no LFS can't take them). Until you become more comfortable, best of luck. 

I have been breeding bristlenose plecos for a while. Just really like the look of the other ones and want to try something a little harder.

• Like 1

@Ethan63

I have not found the temperature is crazy important as they have bred within the recommended range for king tiger care. They are in a planted and 75 gallon. It’s a community tank with a variety of tetras and other pleco species. Finding confirm females is really the only tricky part.

GH is around seven. TDS below 200. The cold water/rain simulation trick works well with most of my Pleco‘s.

On 5/2/2023 at 10:24 AM, Saltinthedesert said:

@Ethan63

I have not found the temperature is crazy important as they have bred within the recommended range for king tiger care. They are in a planted and 75 gallon. It’s a community tank with a variety of tetras and other pleco species. Finding confirm females is really the only tricky part.

GH is around seven. TDS below 200. The cold water/rain simulation trick works well with most of my Pleco‘s.

Ok. What food did you feed the adults and fry. Currently I feed me bristlenose cucumber, green beans, wafers, and repashy bottom scratcher. I heard that hypancistrus need more protein. 

My “fanciest” plecos are my big boy gold nugget, L018, but I just got some youngster L018 that I hope to develop into a breeding group.  They are currently babies, just barely hitting 2” so it’s a long range plan.  Otherwise I’ve got mostly bristlenoses (short and long fin super reds, short and long fin blue eyed lemons).

I tried to get a breeding group of clown plecos, but the group must have had something going on as they did fine in a long quarantine but then very slowly died over several months (not skinny and no lesions found) except for a single one left.  I still have my first one in another tank and I’m now glad I couldn’t ever catch him to put him in that tank.  I also still have a male L519 but haven’t seen the other (that I’m pretty sure was a female) in quite a while but it’s a planted tank.

On 5/2/2023 at 11:50 AM, Ethan63 said:

Ok. What food did you feed the adults and fry. Currently I feed me bristlenose cucumber, green beans, wafers, and repashy bottom scratcher. I heard that hypancistrus need more protein. 

I agree for the king tigers   I find the GH is more important that the temp. As long as you are in the 78- 84* range. I personally think that I get a more even split in sexes 78-80. I raise them up at higher temps 82-83*. 
the leopard frog are harder for me be the temps are higher at 80-83*

I feed mostly protein. Shrimp wafers from Hikiari and some other sinking foods with some veg once or twice a week.