Keeping different Corydoras together

Has anyone ever successfully kept a couple of species of Corydoras together in a breeding tank. I want to breed a few species, but don’t necessarily have the space so I wanted to keep them together. More specifically Sterbai and Orange laser. If I was to keep sufficient schools for both, could this be feasible?

C. sterbai and lasers are compatible as far as getting along just like most cory species will.  They shouldn’t hybridize as they’re from different families/clades.  I have both in my angel tank, pushing their upper limit on temps.  They don’t pal around across species as much as I expected they would, but they do fine together in the same tank.  Mine would likely be happier at a slightly lower temp.  Mine are just now getting solidly into breeding age and condition.

• Thanks 1

On 4/30/2023 at 10:14 PM, Odd Duck said:

C. sterbai and lasers are compatible as far as getting along just like most cory species will.  They shouldn’t hybridize as they’re from different families/clades.  I have both in my angel tank, pushing their upper limit on temps.  They don’t pal around across species as much as I expected they would, but they do fine together in the same tank.  Mine would likely be happier at a slightly lower temp.  Mine are just now getting solidly into breeding age and condition.

I know Sterbai tend to do fine in warmer temps. Would you suggest using a heater to keep the tank at a solid 78°F for breeding purposes if I was to put the two together? Or keep it with no heater so it stays around 70-72°?

They should breed at the lower range just fine.  Not having a heater lets the tank ebb and flow with the day to day fluctuations.  That can trigger spawns in some cases.

A lot of people will keep Sterbai at very high temps, but I do think that most all corydoras do better cooler (more oxygen in the water).

• Like 1