Air Pump Positioning & Check Valves

Reis2

I've put together an air loop for a my fish room, but have a question before I determine the final positioning of the air pump.  Right now it would be very difficult to mount it near the ceiling.  I would like to mount it about mid-way up the wall, with 3/4" tube hooking into the the air loop near the ceiling.

My one question about this setup is whether or not I need to put a check valve in-line for every drop, or is there a solution where I can use some sort of larger check valve between the pump and where air goes in the loop?

If the air loop (pvc) is above the tanks completely and drops down you shouldn't have any siphon issues.  I believe the issue is only when the pump is below the waterline or when the airline is below the waterline and can siphon out water. 

You would protect the pump by having the Air pump.... Check valve... then the PVC look in the ceiling.  I am not certain that is require/recommended for a linear air piston pump.  

In my case, I use a gang valve.  I add the check valve before the gang valve (close to the air pump) and then route the line to the wall, then to the drops in the tank. 

1.png.9c77606d4e3db6de8dc3d6aea7c11a3c.png

Edited by nabokovfan87

• Administrators

You shouldn't need check valves if your loop is on the ceiling. I've never needed them at the store or my personal fish room as long as air loop is higher.

As long as your loop is high and your airlines are secured so they can’t come loose from your air loop, then they can’t siphon.  If your airlines could come loose from the loop and drop below tank level, they could siphon.  Secure the air loop end (high end) of your airlines well and you shouldn’t need check valves.