How does water lettuce hold up to RR?

I know water lettuce doesn't like getting the top sides of its leaves wet.  I finally made air hose rings in front of my HOBs and got the water lettuce to grow well. Now I want to put it through RR to rid it of the leeches I'm battling. Before I bag it up and sink it in vast quantities of seltzer for 12 hours, does anyone know if it is apt to live through the process?  My Java moss did great in the past, my hornwort didn't do well. I hate to waste the seltzer if being underwater for 12 hours is going to kill it. I can test a small amount, but if someone already has it would save me some time.

• Like 1

I have no idea. But I also am utterly lost here 😆

Let  me try to follow...

Agreed, Water lettuce does not prefer to get the tops of its leaves wet.

Air hose rings in front of HOBs . . . do you mean floating airline loops through which outflow from a HOB falls placed in such a way so as to limit surface disturbance in order that floating plants are less bothered? Or something else?

What is RR??

What kind of leeches are you battling?? Where did they come from??

"Sink it in vast quantities of seltzer for 12 hours" . . . what is this procedure??

So sorry. Help an ignorant guy out over here! 😂

@Fish Folk Please read all the way to the P.S.

I put loops of air hose floating in front of the HOBs to keep the water lettuce from floating too close to the output and getting wet on top. sort of a 6-10 inch feeding ring if you will.

RR is Reverse Respiration. Folks on CARE researched, If you cover plants or equipment or anything in club soda or seltzer water and put it in the dark for 12 hours, them put it in oxygenated water for an hour (I think) it kills algae, snails, anything that need oxygen. It is wonderfully non-toxic, and kills everything:

I have been battling leeches from plants I got out of the lake in the fall:

There, I think I answered all your questions. If I missed something, let me know. I'll even add a PS about training my cory fry.

KittenFishMom

P.S. I'm training my cory fry to go into bottle traps and stay calm:

• Love 2

On 4/29/2023 at 12:51 AM, KittenFishMom said:

@Fish Folk Please read all the way to the P.S.

I put loops of air hose floating in front of the HOBs to keep the water lettuce from floating too close to the output and getting wet on top. sort of a 6-10 inch feeding ring if you will.

RR is Reverse Respiration. Folks on CARE researched, If you cover plants or equipment or anything in club soda or seltzer water and put it in the dark for 12 hours, them put it in oxygenated water for an hour (I think) it kills algae, snails, anything that need oxygen. It is wonderfully non-toxic, and kills everything:

I have been battling leeches from plants I got out of the lake in the fall:

There, I think I answered all your questions. If I missed something, let me know. I'll even add a PS about training my cory fry.

KittenFishMom

P.S. I'm training my cory fry to go into bottle traps and stay calm:

Awesome! Thanks 🙏 
Always new things to learn.

• Thanks 1

On 4/28/2023 at 10:38 PM, KittenFishMom said:

I know water lettuce doesn't like getting the top sides of its leaves wet.  I finally made air hose rings in front of my HOBs and got the water lettuce to grow well. Now I want to put it through RR to rid it of the leeches I'm battling. Before I bag it up and sink it in vast quantities of seltzer for 12 hours, does anyone know if it is apt to live through the process?  My Java moss did great in the past, my hornwort didn't do well. I hate to waste the seltzer if being underwater for 12 hours is going to kill it. I can test a small amount, but if someone already has it would save me some time.

I have successfully used RR on several plants, including dwarf water lettuce.  You can divide into two batches if you are worried about killing everything at one time.  Now, keeping the plants alive after planting, that's a different story.  🤣