my cory fry feeder/trainer

KittenFishMom

My last post was about the trouble I was having catching cory fry. @Guppysnail, @nabokovfan87, @Lennie, @lefty o, and everyone who has snarled at a wet empty net.

I put on my fish thinking cap (makes me think like a fish) 

fishhat.jpg.51af51c3d0f645b01d76f34f248fed95.jpg

I used two empty 2 liter seltzer bottles left from some RR, I built a feeder/trainer for the cory fry. I cut the bottom out of one bottle and the top out of the other and tucked the neck into the bottom with just a friction fit so it is easy to open and clean. I left the caps off both bottles and put some yummy food as bait and boi-rings as weight. I put it in my 55 tank where I normally feed the fish, and the current enters the "outlet" neck and pushes yummy smelling water out the "inlet" neck.  The fry swim up the inlet and once you get a few in the trap, more follow quickly.  When they are full, they swim around until they find the outlet and swim out again.

No muss, no fuss, not wasted food to speak of. I will use it for a few days for every feeding. When I am ready to trap the fry, I will put the bottle cap on the "outlet" neck. and the fish should calmly keep looking for the outlet until I empty the trap.

I think if you wanted to use this to feed small fish, you could drill holes in the bottle caps to to limit the size of the fish using it as a feeder. Just make sure there are no sharp edges on the holes. 

frytrainers.JPG.615670ef834138eab3881578d993b0ea.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 3

@nabokovfan87 and @Lennie IT WORKED !!!   I trapped the cory fry tonight. The first round took about 10 minutes and there were got 45 fish in the trap! Each round after that caught fewer, but I would say we got 85 to 90% just using the trap.  I'm so happy to catch the fish so easily. I never put a net in the tank. The plants were not bother at all. We did catch several neon tetras and a kuhli loach. Trying to net the kuhli in a round bucket drive both of us crazy. I finally got him back in the tank. I will use a square or rectangle bucket next time. 

• Haha 1

@Bev C I learned from youtube. Youtube never rolls its eyes if you make it back up and show you a stitch again. Youtube doesn't notice if you ask 15 different people to show you how to do a stitch. You can found out lots of different ways to hold yarn and needles. One is likely to work for you. I recommend starting with cotton dishcloths or washcloths. They really clean well and no one cares if your early ones aren't perfect. The cotton doesn't knot up like fuzzy yarns while you backup a few stitches. Try it, you'll like it.

• Like 1