Green spot on shrimp

Jackson

I get the greenish saddles occasionally on different colored shrimp. Often the eggs will take on green yellow or brown hues. I’ve never seen anything come of it or to be concerned about. Though I cannot verify the reason I often suspected the coloration had something to do with whatever they are feasting on when forming the eggs. 
One the blue the eggs may be yellow under a bit darker of a blue patch causing the green look. 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 9:14 AM, Guppysnail said:

I get the greenish saddles occasionally on different colored shrimp. Often the eggs will take on green yellow or brown hues. I’ve never seen anything come of it or to be concerned about. Though I cannot verify the reason I often suspected the coloration had something to do with whatever they are feasting on when forming the eggs. 
One the blue the eggs may be yellow under a bit darker of a blue patch causing the green look. 

So are you saying those might be eggs ? I thought the eggs would be lower and to the rear of the shrimp .... lol

On 4/28/2023 at 10:12 AM, GCH said:

So are you saying those might be eggs ? I thought the eggs would be lower and to the rear of the shrimp .... lol

The saddle is the eggs developing. When they are ready and fertilized she will move them under her abdomen. 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 11:03 AM, Guppysnail said:

The saddle is the eggs developing. When they are ready and fertilized she will move them under her abdomen. 

So ... lol ... I am not sure if I have any male blue shrimp , will they breed with my bloody mary shrimp ? they are both neocaridina ... Just curious that she is getting along if I am understanding things .

On 4/28/2023 at 10:14 AM, GCH said:

So ... lol ... I am not sure if I have any male blue shrimp , will they breed with my bloody mary shrimp ? they are both neocaridina ... Just curious that she is getting along if I am understanding things .

Yes, they will.  The different colors of Neocaridina davidii will readily produce offspring, just like different breeds of dogs.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 3:48 PM, Lennie said:

Looks like a blue jelly to me.

Under what name were they being sold?

Don't recall the name .. Thought for a while the blue ones were gone by way of betta . But a few survived , was surprised when they showed up after a while . 

On 4/28/2023 at 10:54 PM, GCH said:

Don't recall the name .. Thought for a while the blue ones were gone by way of betta . But a few survived , was surprised when they showed up after a while . 

I see!

Well this is the normal look of blue jellies. Here is a big group of them. I tagged the part in the video for you

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 11:10 PM, GCH said:

So are those eggs or just their guts ? 

Probably both.

Blue jellys are not directly related to blues on the family tree. They are the full clear version of blue rilis, so basically their skin is very clear in color. So that is why they show the internals very clearly I believe.

XULdD8HPRPwl14MTnEZeLG1iNsr2c2EBUJOSYkkmxvA.png?auto=webp&v=enabled&s=343a58b4e89469637451f51dfb1a09b37564e6dc

• Like 1

The saddle basically means the shrimp is ready to lay eggs. Usually means that those have been fertilized and then when it gets to a certain point in the progress the female will deposit the eggs into her swimmerettes.

After that, you're looking at a few weeks (time varies) and then she will go into a spot of flow and release the eggs and hatch them out.

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea what did I do!?!?!? 😂

On 4/29/2023 at 1:30 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

The saddle basically means the shrimp is ready to lay eggs. Usually means that those have been fertilized and then when it gets to a certain point in the progress the female will deposit the eggs into her swimmerettes.

After that, you're looking at a few weeks (time varies) and then she will go into a spot of flow and release the eggs and hatch them out.

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea what did I do!?!?!? 😂

I tagged you bc @Guppysnail’s explanation seemed to relate to this comment you had on another post:

image.png.ebdaca08abffc470ef520ad247ba67be.png

….which maybe I don’t understand what you are saying here (?)

Also check out this lady! Whoa!

FCF733C8-A0C5-4A9D-AF42-5EAD23916310.jpeg

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 4/29/2023 at 12:26 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Like this?

B752CBAF-A074-4B29-88DD-EBCD4B6762BD.jpeg

C98230E5-4AFE-44D2-92FC-99509BC85C9B.jpeg

That looks like a wild type to me 

To get blue jellys by a chance you would need blue rilis or red rili blues I guess. Your shrimp are on the blue side of the tree, not red, right?

In the second pic it looks like it has a hugeee tail 😄 That is combined with a yellowed plant part right?

• Like 1

On 4/29/2023 at 5:42 AM, Lennie said:

In the second pic it looks like it has a hugeee tail 😄 That is combined with a yellowed plant part right?

Yeah, you can see the plant thru the shrimp

On 4/29/2023 at 5:42 AM, Lennie said:

To get blue jellys by a chance you would need blue rilis or red rili blues I guess

I believe I started with deep blue Neos. I have seen maybe 3 blue rilis 

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 4/29/2023 at 2:18 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I tagged you bc @Guppysnail’s explanation seemed to relate to this comment you had on another post:

Yeah... it was probably a MSTs video.  He had one berried and saddled at the same time. 😍

He definitely has his shrimp humming!

On 4/29/2023 at 2:26 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:
On 4/28/2023 at 1:17 PM, Lennie said:

Blue jellys are not directly related to blues on the family tree. They are the full clear version of blue rilis, so basically their skin is very clear in color. So that is why they show the internals very clearly I believe

Like this?

B752CBAF-A074-4B29-88DD-EBCD4B6762BD.jpeg

C98230E5-4AFE-44D2-92FC-99509BC85C9B.jpeg

Blue jelly is like a powder/baby blue color.  Think of it like a soft red cherry shrimp.... that's the naming given to the blue form of that light pigmentation form.

NeoShrimp.jpeg.38e4e252f4514ad2f6b57bcd9484fcd4.jpeg

This is the most up to date chart I have for cherry shrimp color morphs.... They would be in the blue velvet tree.  Here's a photo of a very high grade one.
Blue Jelly Neocaridina Shrimp - Grade SSS

• Like 1