Kribensis spawning length?

Gamegurl

Heya peoples,

I have a very happy couple of breeding Kribs. I'm into their first batch of babies. Lots of babies.

My question is this, do they slow down after a period of time? Maybe spawn for their first year or do they go on and on?

It's pretty cool and I am hopeful I can unload some of them to my area fish stores.

If anyone is in California feel free to contact me and I'll get babies to you. I haven't ever shipped fish so am unsure of how that would go.

Hope all are well

Thanks, GG

• Like 1

I think they’ll spawn regularly. Occasionally they’ll eat a batch of fry when they get ready to spawn again. Their mode is: (1) Spawn (2) Parent (3) Repeat 😎

You may find that Kribs grow _very slowly _. Most fish stores can only but ca. 12 max, and prefer mature specimens in spawning shape.

It took us forever to raise a batch my son did for BAP. The LFS wouldn’t give us more than a couple bucks for juveniles, even though they were coloring up.

Breeding video…

Juveniles coloring up after months of growth…

Even on Aquabid, currently prices range from $1 for an individual to $25 a pair… and there are _no bids_.

I adore Kribs, and always have been pleased with them. But they’re so easy to breed, you really have to take a long view.

One thing I think is beautiful is settling up a large 55 or 75 gal, and letting broods of fry reach full maturity. Allow a bit of sunlight to reach the tank. Check this guy’s video out…

On 4/27/2023 at 6:28 AM, Fish Folk said:

I think they’ll spawn regularly. Occasionally they’ll eat a batch of fry when they get ready to spawn again. Their mode is: (1) Spawn (2) Parent (3) Repeat 😎

You may find that Kribs grow _very slowly _. Most fish stores can only but ca. 12 max, and prefer mature specimens in spawning shape.

It took us forever to raise a batch my son did for BAP. The LFS wouldn’t give us more than a couple bucks for juveniles, even though they were coloring up.

Breeding video…

Juveniles coloring up after months of growth…

Even on Aquabid, currently prices range from $1 for an individual to $25 a pair… and there are _no bids_.

I adore Kribs, and always have been pleased with them. But they’re so easy to breed, you really have to take a long view.

One thing I think is beautiful is settling up a large 55 or 75 gal, and letting broods of fry reach full maturity. Allow a bit of sunlight to reach the tank. Check this guy’s video out…

I wish I had the room to grow them out fully. I am going with a friend to all the local fish stores and hopefully I can unload them. I have seen your sons video before. You must be very proud of him. If only my Kribs had a batch like his! Mine pumped out at least 50 of the little buggers. I don't need any money for them I just love Kribs. They are already wanting to spawn again, gonna have to move the babies soon. They are getting all secretive again. Hehe

• Love 1

Hello again,

Will the parents lay eggs and make more babies even with young in the tank? I estimate these guys are going to be 6 weeks next week. I get paid next week and would rather the tank I am moving them to is more set up before I transfer them. That would mean keeping them in with Mom and Dad for another week or so.

Thanks in advance

In my experience, yes. I let a spawn grow out to sellable size, in the tank with mom and dad (20 tall), hoping that would keep them from spawning again. It worked, until it didn’t. 

Eventually, mom and dad were fighting off an entire teenage hoard to protect the new eggs. It was wild, and ultimately led to me moving on from Kribs. 

They simply spawn so easily, and all the time, and I couldn’t unload them all. Kribs are crazy because they exhibit some of the best parental care you can see, but once you’re stuck with 100+ Kribs you don’t want to see that behavior ever again. 

Simply just my personal experience with my Kribs. Let me know if I can help!