Scapexghost Idea Journal

I have a lot of ideas. But i dont have a lot of money, time, or space. So, I want to start a bit of an idea/brainstorming/planning journal to keep track of all said ideas until i have the time, space, and money to implement them. Advice is encouraged, stuff along the lines of "I tried that and everything died," or "that should work fine if you remove the pea puffer," or even more subjective things like "I think blue dream will fit better than blue jellies." Also, if you like one of the ideas, feel free to try one and report back. After all, if i didnt want to get feedback, id just type all this on notepad. I think I'll format this as one post per idea starting with the next one. Some on these ideas may be very bad as im just spitballing for now.

Idea I: "East-Asian themed goldfish tank"

Im not huge on goldfish, but on variety i really like are shubunkins. I like them bc they look like koi. This tank, i want to have luck bamboo and some dried cherry blossom leaves. I may also try some other pink plants if the goldfish will allow them. For the background, i want a stone brick look.

• Love 1

Idea II: "Ocean themed tank"

There are a lot of fresh water fish that look like famous ocean fish but smaller. The ones i can think of are: red-tail sharks, emperor tetras, kuhli loachs, hillstream loaches, baby whales, dolphin cichlids, pea puffers, and probably a bunch others. Anacharis also looks a lot like seaweed. In a tank like this something like a plastic shipwreck would actually work really well. The tank would have to be low light to pull of the aesthetic. I know some people use dyes to make the water blue, but i wouldnt go that far.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2023 at 8:28 PM, Scapexghost said:

Idea I: "East-Asian themed goldfish tank"

Im not huge on goldfish, but on variety i really like are shubunkins. I like them bc they look like koi. This tank, i want to have luck bamboo and some dried cherry blossom leaves. I may also try some other pink plants if the goldfish will allow them. For the background, i want a stone brick look.

Your concept of Shubunkins and Lucky Bamboo is an amazing coincidence as I have both in the tank below: 

DSC_0034.JPG.18d335eac450c44c29517c10e54d7a72.JPG

DSC_0021.JPG.f940d76513d5d5a5003648eebb55e4d2.JPG

DSC_0013.JPG.e50a36a3a2dd4d1b2b5a9f8a272dc715.JPG

I too love Koi. As a neophyte, I mistakenly bought Koi for my 125G and soon realized I either have to rehome them to a pond or buy a 400G tank! So, I rehomed them and went with Shubunkins. As you said, they look extremely similar and are of a manageable size.  Delightful personalities too. 

Here's a 1-minute video of them. The last 20 seconds is lower quality video but it's the same fish a year later:

• Love 5

On 4/26/2023 at 11:02 PM, Scapexghost said:

I love this idea!  Indeed I did what I called a "Pseudo-Saltwater Tank" for a bit.  I loved it!  Perhaps too much.  It lead to an actual SW tank.  🤣  But if you can resist the sirens' song of marine tanks, this is a great option!

• Like 1

On 4/26/2023 at 9:02 PM, Scapexghost said:

There are a lot of fresh water fish that look like famous ocean fish but smaller. The ones i can think of are: red-tail sharks, emperor tetras, kuhli loachs, hillstream loaches, baby whales, dolphin cichlids, pea puffers, and probably a bunch others. Anacharis also looks a lot like seaweed. In a tank like this something like a plastic shipwreck would actually work really well. The tank would have to be low light to pull of the aesthetic. I know some people use dyes to make the water blue, but i wouldnt go that far.

Check this out.... It might generate some internal discussion. 🙂

• Like 1

Idea III: 29 gallon redo

So ive been meaning to redo my 29 gallon, and i've had a few ideas. My current one is to do a retaining wall style for gravel capped dirt in the back and sand in the front. The wall will be made of dragon stone, but i also want some caves into the wall, possible using terrocatta spikes hidden in it. I want to use mostly things i have on hand, and hopefully ill have this done withing the month.

Idea IV: "Forest floor shrimp tank"

So this tank i want to get a piece of drift wood that resembles a tree truck, then surround its base with fern type plants, along with dwarf hairgrass and 4 leaf clover. And i want to use some oak leaves and acord husks as well. 

• Like 1