How to make kanaplex food for betta

Keeg

I got a quick case of epistylis on my betta after transporting her to a new tank. Anyways, online said to treat with kanaplex medicated food. Kanaplex is on the way but I don't know how to prepare it into food.

I need a step by step process, and is it worth getting garlic guard? 

On 4/26/2023 at 2:10 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Avoid Garlic Guard for Betta, our Vet friend @Odd Duck advises there is evidence it does organ damage. If the fish is eating fine you won't need it. If I also remember correctly it is better given in the water column and is not more effective in food. 

I was also thinking water column but like the two top links said to feed them it so I don't know which route to take. Do you recommend water column? Or maybe @Odd Duck, what are your thoughts?

I would recommend treating with maracyn2  in food and dose the tank with salt as kanaplex is poorly absorbed by the intestinal tract  he's a medicated food recipe you can use with maracyn2 @Keegif your fish isn't eating I would dose the tank and add some aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 3 gallons if you don't have live plants

IMG_20230115_234745.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am very careful about recommending garlic since it has been known to cause liver problems, even live failure is documented in multiple species - mammals and fish.  There aren’t enough studies to know for sure if it’s safe in all species.  If you need to dose a medication in food and the fish aren’t eating it, then adding a very low dose of Garlic Guard may be safe, but there just aren’t studies enough to know for sure.

Kanaplex is not significantly absorbed from the gut in any species studied, so I always recommend dosing it in the water.  Some will pass through the gut when dosed in the water so it will get some bacteria that is inside the GI tract, but it will only be absorbed into tissues through the gills or via injections (NO, don’t try this!).  Salt is helpful in treating Epistylus and NOT increasing temps since it grows better in warmer temps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1