Congo Tetra - How much skittishness is normal?

Landon

I have a 48 gallon community tank (high tech setup, canister filter) with:

A3FC002E-9EE9-4CC5-B177-9475B90035B5.jpeg.476061bd46f81c61114531e050bf1ffb.jpeg

1 Spotted Congo Puffer

6 Congo Tetra

6 Orange Laser Cories

1 Hillstream Loach

2 Giant Otos 

A thriving colony of Cherry Shrimp

I’ve had my Congo Tetra for over six months and they are pretty intense. Often when I reach in the tank, they go into freak out mode where they thrash against the glass, substrate, and rocks. It looks like they might be trying to dig under the rocks which looks painful… Sometimes they pull up plants. I also have to be very careful walking near the tank at night to prevent freak outs. 

Otherwise, they seem to dominate the tank, pushing my puffer away at feeding time. Most of the males are very colorful. 

Is this normal for Congo Tetras? Maybe I just prefer more chill species?

• Like 2

Congo are kinda energetically gifted I will say. I am not sure if the skittish-ness will ever die down. I find that giving them a sight break to dart behind mellows them out-somewhat.

I have some trout that are also energetic as all get out. Especially around feeding time. They know me as the food handler quite well. But are untrusting of other house guests. I gave them a sight break and that is where they stay until the new face leaves.

• Like 1

Those tanks are both luscious works of art! 

I only have neon tetras and I've never seen a fish hold a grudge longer. I moved mine from one tank to another four days ago and when I enter the room where they are now, the tank looks empty. They are hiding behind cholla wood on the floor at the back of the tank any time they hear or see me coming.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2023 at 8:50 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

I gave them a sight break and that is where they stay until the new face leaves.

That sounds like a good idea! What does your sight break look like? Is it a plant? 

On 4/27/2023 at 12:23 AM, Landon said:

Thank you very much!

You may be spot on about having lights behind me. This is what they’re seeing opposite the front pane- it’s about 6 feet away 😬

BDB608AF-DF00-46F0-8139-9422FF58B1B1.jpeg.8ca7c76be3c43e25324a2f2266f9cbab.jpeg

That snail friend looks so cute.

I need more pics! 😄