Betta with Popeye

Alex S.

I'm afraid my Betta has come down with Popeye. I'm not 100% sure how long her eye has been bulging like this, but I know it began recently. I am currently treating the water with 1 pack of Maracyn/ 10 gallons of water for 7 days (per Aquarium Co-Op's recommendation online). Other than the bulging eye, she doesn't seem to have any other symptoms. She actively swims around the tank as usual, and has had no change in her eating habits. Does anyone have any experience with how long it takes to cure Popeye or have recommendations on other things I should be doing to help her? I've been worried about her even though she seems to be acting fine.

She is in a 5.5 gallon with two nerite snails with the following water parameters if that helps:

pH: 7.2

Nitrates: <10ppm

Nitrites: 0

Ammonia: 0

Hardness: 300ppm

KH: 80ppm

Temp: 78 F

Thanks in advance for anyone's help. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated! 

IMG_1553.jpg

IMG_1554.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

When it's affecting one eye it's usually caused by an injury what I do is also add a small amount of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 5 gallons at that level it shouldn't harm your plants and will help reduce any possible fluid buildup in the eye @Alex S.

@Colu thank you so much! I will definitely try that. Do you think I should move my snails to another tank you the time being as well, or should they be ok with the salt at that low of a dose like the plants should? I’m assuming since nerite snails need brackish water to breed they should probably be OK, but I could be wrong.

On 4/26/2023 at 5:22 PM, Alex S. said:

@Colu thank you so much! I will definitely try that. Do you think I should move my snails to another tank you the time being as well, or should they be ok with the salt at that low of a dose like the plants should? I’m assuming since nerite snails need brackish water to breed they should probably be OK, but I could be wrong.

Nerite snails will be fine with salt that level of salt I would be more worried about medication harming them I would always recommend removing them during treatment 

• Like 1