Making a Tank True to its Stand is Driving me Insane

BisScottie Non-Ya

So I'm trying to make a fish tank stand using the concrete block method. I've tried using 2 x 4's on it and I just cut these pieces of plywood out to see if they'll be true. I know that all 4 corners need to be touching so it doesn't twist but no matter what I do I can still fit stuff underneath it. I've watched Co-Op's and Joey's videos on building one and this specific issue is never brought up. Can someone please help me figure this out and in return I will send you my eternal gratitude?KIMG0880.jpg.646076985a6b4d2fedf05e0b1318b319.jpgKIMG0878.jpg.c2882048999f7e7944af6a4911320393.jpgKIMG0881.jpg.045708ae2586f2f5b4d8c38a055b640b.jpgKIMG0877.jpg.d50c0c505459c4961d50652276e4adfc.jpgKIMG0876.jpg.f52ab4ebc569f4c42b7dad3418592be3.jpgKIMG0879.jpg.fdc3a818712a97e3c7c4cacce716381b.jpg

• Administrators

Well typically when you put water in it, it levels out quite a bit. the cinder blocks typically have imperfections. They'll compress into the wood. This is one of those officially you should be 100% level. However in practice I've never had a problem personally in my fish room. 

6 minutes ago, Cory said:

Well typically when you put water in it, it levels out quite a bit. the cinder blocks typically have imperfections. They'll compress into the wood. This is one of those officially you should be 100% level. However in practice I've never had a problem personally in my fish room. 

Thank you so much for clearing this up. This issue has been driving me insane lol. You have my eternal gratitude Cory!  

(Edit: I'll be sure to thank you by doing what your signature says!)

Edited by BisScottie

No two cinder blocks are exactly the aame. I have been around masonry my entire life due to my dad being a life long mason. They can vary up to 1/8 inch and def not be square. You could put lines exactly one up the tank on all the cornors and adjust the tank till it's level and matching all the marks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: (I figured I would keep this thread going rather then make a new one) I decided to take some high density foam and place it underneath to "auto-level" and reduce pressure points. Here are some pictures of what it looks like halfway filled. Please pardon the mess :(

KIMG0896.jpg.392a43d0af168c958af8a708a1483140.jpgKIMG0897.jpg.f38ec035018e9d844c87af0f9cfdd929.jpg

KIMG0892.jpg.56f752ba2cf5021c274e31cd1385e3e4.jpg

After filling I noticed that some of the foam is touching the bottom glass panel but I'm able to push down on it so I don't think its load bearing. Do you think this could cause an issue long term?

KIMG0895.jpg.257806e355260ef768ce1ccb248a2923.jpg

I decided to fill the rest after waiting 3 days without any leaks. I waited another week to confirm that the foam is working and the tank isn't leaking. No leaks were found and it leveled itself out perfectly! I'd like to thank everyone for their help again! @Cory @Ben Ellison @JRaffy

KIMG0969.jpg.006a539bd5c34306d9bd130ba26d998a.jpg

Here is where the tank will stay until I get some paint for the cinder blocks. I'll keep updating this thread until the tank is finished!

@s1_ @Cory Ok, I'll need to rework the foam. Maybe I can cut out the inside part of it so its only on the edges? I sadly I can't put it under the wood since its already indented quite a bit. Also the foam cost me an arm and a leg because I had to get it from a specialty store so it would be another $40 for enough to redo it :classic_unsure: Thanks for the advice! Any suggestions are welcome.

I would stay away from the foam all together. It's a recipe for disaster imo. If you are really concerned, why don't you throw a piece of plywood underneath the tank? Even if it isn't 100% get it as close as you can and fill it anyway. Wait a few days and check the level again. 

Edited by Joshua14
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Joshua14 said:

I would stay away from the foam all together. It's a recipe for disaster imo. If you are really concerned, why don't you throw a piece of plywood underneath the tank? Even if it isn't 100% get it as close as you can and fill it anyway. Wait a few days and check the level again. 

There is still a piece of wood under the foam. It goes Tank - Foam - Plywood - Cinder Block.

15 minutes ago, s1_ said:

The idea of three disconnected points of contact is slightly scary because if one of the ends settle then half the tank will be cantilevered and the middle is not made to hold weight in that direction.

That's a really good point. So here's my thought... remove the foam, keep the plywood, shim under the cinderblocks until the tank is true and level when its full? The foam stemmed from the yoga mat/corkboard idea that was brought up earlier, so I thought more might be better. lol 

17 minutes ago, Joshua14 said:

@BisScottie If it were me I'd just remove the foam then let it rest on the plywood. You got this!

Thank you! I feel like I'm really overthinking this whole issue. I live with my grandparents at the moment and if the tank leaks.. I have to pay for repairs which can be super expensive. So this whole thing has been running circles in my head.  

I've been there believe me. My tanks are mostly in a basement so I'm free for worry about damages. However I do get concerned about making them level as you are. I can tell you I have a 40 tall on cinder blocks and 2×4s no plywood and it's almost perfect but it's not 100% level. It's been set up and running for almost 3 years. And it appears to be going strong. I've also had tanks set up outside on the ground and never had an issue. They were definitely not level. 😅😂

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2020 at 9:16 AM, Joshua14 said:

I've been there believe me. My tanks are mostly in a basement so I'm free for worry about damages. However I do get concerned about making them level as you are. I can tell you I have a 40 tall on cinder blocks and 2×4s no plywood and it's almost perfect but it's not 100% level. It's been set up and running for almost 3 years. And it appears to be going strong. I've also had tanks set up outside on the ground and never had an issue. They were definitely not level. 😅😂

Yeah! Its hard since I'm living in my grandparent's basement and any damages caused I'll have to pay for. Which can get pretty expensive. Its actually a 60 gallon tall. Super weird right? Also the tank was made in 2011 so that worries me as well :/