dying aquarium plants

im a beginner fish keeper and when it comes to plants there is alot i dont know . i just wanted to ask someone for help because my plants are dying do i throw them out or do i keep them in the fish tank , i was thinking about buying fertilizer but my local fish shop owner told me not to because i had just bought a bag of aquasoil and new pants . i hope anyone out there can tell me what to do

photos help to see what might be going on.

1) what are your water parameters?

2) are the plants new or have they been established for awhile?

3) what lighting are you using?

4) what substrate are you using?

5) what fish or invertebrates do you currently have in the tank?

Edited by FLFishChik

Sometimes new plants will appear to die because they were grown in a farm out of water and when they are planted underwater they have to replace their leaves with ones that work better in that environment. Here is a article about that https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/faqs/melting-or-dying-plants#:~:text=It is normal for plants,to start taking in nutrients.

This is just one possibility. Photos would help. 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2023 at 11:41 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Regardless of the substrate, fertilizer needs to be dosed. Lightly at first, then ramped up as health and growth improve.

i will try to do that but you see its more of my older plants dying off and the leafs falling off i had them for about a month , but recently they just started dying and i dont know whats the cause of it and prior before this i didnt use any fertilizer but they were doing just fine . so i was just wondering should i take out the dead leafs or should i leave them be , some people say to let the dead leafs stay in the tank because its provides nutriens to the soil or something and some people say to take it out because its not good for the water and the fish

On 4/25/2023 at 11:06 AM, nisa_urlove said:

i will try to do that but you see its more of my older plants dying off and the leafs falling off i had them for about a month , but recently they just started dying and i dont know whats the cause of it and prior before this i didnt use any fertilizer but they were doing just fine . so i was just wondering should i take out the dead leafs or should i leave them be , some people say to let the dead leafs stay in the tank because its provides nutriens to the soil or something and some people say to take it out because its not good for the water and the fish

Which plants are they?

On 4/25/2023 at 10:06 AM, nisa_urlove said:

If the leaves are melted or detached, I would remove them so they don't polute the water. If they are still attached to the plant and just yellowing, browning or have some holes in them, I would leave them so the plant can continue using up the resources in that leaf.