DISASTER

rockfisher

I loss all my fish in my 75 gal. It was my fun tank as I called it. It had my mini discus which some of you may remember I got 2ish years ago and the stayed small. Some of my nice angels my black Corys and a few nice brittlenose. The worst of it was my clown loaches. They were nice fat  good size clown loaches that i just bought a new tank for that is being delivered tomorrow just for them. They were a little big for the 75 gallon so I got a 150. I normally don’t get to upset when fish die. It happens and when you do it long enough  more that a few favorites with pass. These have fish have been with me for 18 years. I wish I new what happened. I was sick in the hospital for a 4 days. Not a big deal in my life and my fish have been through that before. My roommate fed them like he does. Every has in the past. It’s a big job as I have lots of tanks and foods. I do simplify the routine so no bbs frozen and more flake. I’m not says it was him because every things else did great. Even my fry did ok on the powered mirco food. The tank parameters we’re the same as always. Everything died. The plants the fish everything is gone other that one upside cat that I don’t think will make it. I cant figure it out. It’s not the cost of replacing them which is a concern but the clowns have alway brought me peace. I really just needed to vent to people that understand a fish is more than a fish sometimes. 

• Sad 13

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. Not just of losing pets, but all the months/ years of work and money poured into your passion to have it all suddenly be gone literally overnight. It’s disheartening at the least. I hope you can at least figure out what might have caused it and hopefully prevent it from happening again. Hopefully you can restock your tank with more beautiful, peaceful fish soon! 🙏

• Like 3

Sorry for your loss never easy to lose fish you have had for a long time With mast die offs I would be looking at chemical contamination if your water parameters are fine maybe air fresheners or cleaning product on your friends Hands if he put his hands in the tank  when he was feeding  or some other form of contamination @rockfisher

• Like 4

Dude, I'm so sorry to hear that.

As a person who has grown up with pets all his life, I truly feel you. None of my words will lessen the pain you feeling. I'm just really sorry.

Can it be there was some sort of a spike but during 4 days the tank managed to clear all potential ammonia or nitrite?

I hope you are also okay and there is nothing serious about your own health. 

Whenever you need someone to talk to, I am just a message away.

When I lost Rick, my blue mystery snail, I lost all my passion for the hobby. Now the time passed and I feel better, but I still miss him so much.

*sending virtual hug* 😭 

image.gif.8b840c5a269f9f43de04454ab29ee511.gif

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

On 4/25/2023 at 10:37 AM, Colu said:

Sorry for your loss never easy to lose fish you have had for a long time With mast die offs I would be looking at chemical contamination if your water parameters are fine maybe air fresheners or cleaning product on your friends Hands if he put his hands in the tank  when he was feeding  or some other form of contamination @rockfisher

That’s what I was thinking. He I terrified to do anything other than feed them. He never had pets and after my divorce I needed the help with bills and he needed a place to stay. Around the animal he is afraid anything he does will hurt them. So much so it can be frustrating and funny. So I’m pretty sure he didn’t put his hands in the tank but maybe a stay air freshener or cleaner. He knows that he is supposed to stay away from that room but that is the tank that wecomes you to the fish room and really the house. These fish made it through A major hurricane. 4 days shouldn’t have been to much. I’m definitely not going to blame him.

On 4/25/2023 at 11:12 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Very sorry for your loss. Maybe a heater failed?

I doubt it but I don’t know. The house is at 80 and the heater tends not to run in the summer. And it’s been summer for about 2 months in south Fl

• Like 1

That sucks, sorry it happened when you were just about to give those fish an even better home. It is obvious that you cared about their well-being, and it is never easy losing something you felt responsible for.

I hope you find a reason, if nothing to give you some idea what may have happened so you can avoid it again. I also hope you;re doing okay yourself after your hospital stay and can at least try to have fun when your new tank arrives.

Wishing you much luck!

• Thanks 1

On 4/25/2023 at 7:33 PM, Luciferkrist said:

That sucks, sorry it happened when you were just about to give those fish an even better home. It is obvious that you cared about their well-being, and it is never easy losing something you felt responsible for.

I hope you find a reason, if nothing to give you some idea what may have happened so you can avoid it again. I also hope you;re doing okay yourself after your hospital stay and can at least try to have fun when your new tank arrives.

Wishing you much luck!

I will likely try a discus tank. I lost the ones I had in the 75. Discus and big school of tetras,

So sorry to hear this--hard enough to be in the hospital without coming home to a devastating loss. I think sudden unexplained losses of a whole tank of fish are a biggest fear for most of us. 18 years is a very long time to have fish; I hope you can take comfort in knowing they had good lives for that time.

• Thanks 1

I am so sorry for your loss. I can not begin to imagine what it would be like. To loss the fish and the plant in 4 days sounds so hard to face.  I hope you are doing alright. I'm glad you are not jumping to blame anyone. It would be hard for anyone to feel they were responsible for such a total disaster. I hope you recover from your hospital stay and your sudden loss of a well cared for tank. 

• Thanks 1

I’m upset about it but looking forward to added two more tanks. I just talked to the person delivering the 150 which Ii think is way bigger than than she gave me the measurements and and I’m a little dis a pointed. For some reason I thought it was 72 in but it’s only 48. I passed up on that was 72 for the same price. when I was looking some aaaqqqqq  away claims they have a 65g for $20 so I might get that for breeding. I has also been a trade said to be done for a 3rd 120 in a trade for a 45 bow front. So I’ll have more tanks but two will go by the pool as breeders or one my go in my sons room since he moved out

SORRY this post are disjoint med probably spelled poorly and grammar non-existent. I have not sleep but for a few hours 20 mins at time since Thursday. Thank you for the support. 

Here are some before and after 

This one is long so you can skip I didn’t know how to make it shorter

After:☹️

I guess I should be happy that I final get to use the real cypress stumps that I have hade soaking for over 2 years. I still had to add a plate to the bottom to hold it down. The smaller two are sitting on the bottom although I think they are more like floating at the bottom. It a fish swims by to fast they could move. They are going to move to the 120 when the stand is done. I think I mentioned that I was getting a 150g. Well I did but I kinda of got the short end. It was supposed to come with a stand well it didn’t show up with one. So now I have to build a stand. 

Edited by rockfisher