Deformed, Wrinkled New Growth On Stem Plants?

Sunny Doan

Hi this pogostemon stellatus that I ordered from Aquarium Co Op has started new growth, but it looks all curled and wrinkled. The Rotala is starting to something similar. But overall the rest of the plants are growing fine, my crinum is sprouting out regular leaves, and crypt parva sent out new runners.

Pogostemon Stellata.jpg

Rotala.jpg

• Administrators

@Sunny Doan Oh no! Sorry to hear. What are your water parameters like? Are you using any fertilizers in the water column or root tabs? Dosing iron? CO2? 

I have never had this happen, but I have read that curling leaves could be a result of lack of nutrients. In fact, there's too not much else it could be. Just need to figure out what is missing for these particular plants since each species has a unique need for different nutrients.

4 hours ago, Sunny Doan said:

@Lizzie Block It seems that it's only the pogostemon, it's dirted and i do dose ferts every once in a while, i figured it might just be ne growth as the curls have grown out and it curls at the tips of the plant. Although new leaves are still growing a bit curled

Might be a calcium deficiency.  What is your water GH & KH?  Hard to say, since you didn't state your water parameters.  Also, if it's a new plant, it still might be adjusting to your water, etc.  I keep live-bearing fish and a ton of Pogostemon Stellatus.  I add calcium & magnesium to my water for the fish and those particular stem plants really seem to enjoy that.  At least for me anyway.  😊

8 hours ago, DaveSamsell said:

Might be a calcium deficiency.  What is your water GH & KH?  Hard to say, since you didn't state your water parameters.  Also, if it's a new plant, it still might be adjusting to your water, etc.  I keep live-bearing fish and a ton of Pogostemon Stellatus.  I add calcium & magnesium to my water for the fish and those particular stem plants really seem to enjoy that.  At least for me anyway.  😊

will be posting water parameters of all that i can do later today

11 hours ago, DaveSamsell said:

GH is around 60 and Kh is around 40 

40 minutes ago, Sunny Doan said:

GH is around 60 and Kh is around 40 

To me, those parameters seem low.  As a comparison, my GH & KH are about 200 ppm, each (but I keep live-bearers, which like harder water).  On medium light, with Easy Green fertilizer, my pogo plants seem to grow very quickly in the aquariums.  Wondershell & baking soda helped me a lot to boost my GH & KH.  What fish do you keep with these plants? Also, what is the PH?  It's always a fine balance to satisfy the plants & the fish with water parameters.  It's also good to test parameters fully & fertilize accordingly.  Hope this helps a bit.  😊

I bet your water is fine as are your plants. Give it just a little time and my guess the wrinkled curliness won't be a problem on future new growth. The growing shoot on plants (called the apical meristem) is easily mechanically damaged and some weirdness can ensue. But given a little time and a little more new growth the plants will straighten everything out.

Or not. And in that case ignore what I just said.

On 7/24/2020 at 3:48 PM, DaveSamsell said:

To me, those parameters seem low.  As a comparison, my GH & KH are about 200 ppm, each (but I keep live-bearers, which like harder water).  On medium light, with Easy Green fertilizer, my pogo plants seem to grow very quickly in the aquariums.  Wondershell & baking soda helped me a lot to boost my GH & KH.  What fish do you keep with these plants? Also, what is the PH?  It's always a fine balance to satisfy the plants & the fish with water parameters.  It's also good to test parameters fully & fertilize accordingly.  Hope this helps a bit.  😊

Currently I have 4 emerald cories, 1 panda cory that came with the emerald cory (I need to get more panda cories soon), 5 barbatus cories, a pair of Kribs, some zebra danio fry, and a small siamese algae eater

On 7/24/2020 at 3:48 PM, DaveSamsell said:

PH is around 7.4 - 7.6

51 minutes ago, Pete said:

To piggyback on the topic of Pogos, can I propagate them by cutting off the new growth and replanting, or will they send out runners like val does?

Like Dave said you usually trim it replant it and the trimming will grow vertically. Which you can then trim again and replant.

• Thanks 1