would this work as a background?

PVC is generally considered waterproof, so it should be alright.  I have been using a PVC panel for years with no problems. 

On 4/24/2023 at 11:29 PM, Jacob Hill-Legion Aquatics said:

would this work as a background? its thin pvc sheeting, Its easy to cut.

would the pvc have any problems if some water got on it like how acrylic can bow?

This was news to me, and very confusing.

A quick read would indicate that Acrylic sheeting is also waterproof and not affected by a splash of water. Over time however, some acrylics will absorb water (humidity).😕

• Like 1

jump on amazon and look into blackout window film. One order would be enough for a few tanks. it's easy to cut to size, easy to put on, removeable, and leaves a super clean finish/appearance. I got a piece from a brand called Rabbitgoo for the back of a terrarium, and have been very happy with it. $17 bucks (CDN), with enough for a bunch of tanks. 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2023 at 9:06 AM, TOtrees said:

jump on amazon and look into blackout window film. One order would be enough for a few tanks. it's easy to cut to size, easy to put on, removeable, and leaves a super clean finish/appearance. I got a piece from a brand called Rabbitgoo for the back of a terrarium, and have been very happy with it. $17 bucks (CDN), with enough for a bunch of tanks. 

Ive used window film before but this tank is already set up and I don't want to move it at all so the pvc will be the easiest to slide behind the tank.

Should be fine, especially if you're just attaching it to the back glass. If you're going to try towedge it into the tank, be sure it is SNUG so nothing gets trapped behind it or any of your fish get trapped.

If it still isn't to your liking, you can always do what I did with my bigger tanks and get some matte-black paint and roll it on with a thin roller for a few coats on the outside. Get exterior or latex based paint and the water won't be an issue.