My Cardinal Tetras Won’t Eat Blood Worms?

FLFishChik

So, I’ve been attempting to feed my Cardinal Tetra blood worms for some time, but it’s like they have no clue what to do with them. At first I thought they were too big, so I cut them up into tiny pieces, but even then, they just follow it around the tank as it floats to the bottom then Lise interest. I’ve seen one or two grab one then just spit it right back out. I thought all fish liked BW?

• Like 1

Several thoughts and questions…

(1) How many Cardinals do you have schooling together?

(2) Bloodworms should be taken, but perhaps you can order “small” sized ones — smaller diameter. I always thaw mine in warm water before serving to tropical fish species.

(3) On the whole, Cardinals will do best on a varied diet that includes live baby brine shrimp, live nematodes, and live daphnia. Overfeeding bloodworms is not healthy for this species.

(4) Keep the water warm. They’re great with Rams and Discus because they can thrive up at 85-87° F.

— There are different views on bloodworms. I feed many of my  NANF species liberally on them; but I am wary of overdoing bloodworms with Rams, Guppies, African Cichlids, and Killifish.

Edited by Fish Folk

On 4/24/2023 at 9:36 PM, Fish Folk said:

Several thoughts and questions…

(1) How many Cardinals do you have schooling together?

(2) Bloodworms should be taken, but perhaps you can order “small” sized ones — smaller diameter. I always thaw mine in warm water before serving to tropical fish species.

(3) On the whole, Cardinals will do best on a varied diet that includes live baby brine shrimp, live nematodes, and live daphnia. Overfeeding bloodworms is not healthy for this species.

(4) Keep the water warm. They’re great with Rams and Discus because they can thrive up at 85-87° F.

— There are different views on bloodworms. I feed many of my  NANF species liberally on them; but I am wary of overdoing bloodworms with Rams, Guppies, African Cichlids, and Killifish.

1) I have a group of 14

2) I’ll try looking for smaller ones. I do thaw them in a small container of tank water before I feed.

3) I feed blood worms once a week to everyone but the Pea Puffers. They also get frozen bbs, freeze dried daphnia, Vibrabites, nano pellets and bugbites 

4) water stays at a consistent 76F because everywhere I have read has a temp range of 73 - 80 for cardinals.

• Like 1

Well, I wouldn't worry about it as long as they eat their normal diet.

I've lost one angelfish to bloodworms. I used to feed it without any issue for years and one day, boom. So yea, bloodworms are out of my feeding list for ever now.

You can feed lots of other food that are better like daphnia or (baby) brine. Bloodworms are like a treat at best anyway

On 4/25/2023 at 2:21 AM, FLFishChik said:

1) I have a group of 14

2) I’ll try looking for smaller ones. I do thaw them in a small container of tank water before I feed.

3) I feed blood worms once a week to everyone but the Pea Puffers. They also get frozen bbs, freeze dried daphnia, Vibrabites, nano pellets and bugbites 

4) water stays at a consistent 76F because everywhere I have read has a temp range of 73 - 80 for cardinals.

This all sounds great. And yes, you’re right: Cardinals have a fairly wide acceptable temperature range. I personally always have kept mine over 80°-F, which makes them livelier and hungrier.

But at 76°-F, they’ll pack on more weight.