New Killifish

Patrick_G

@Schuyler was kind enough to give me a trio of his Guentheri Killifish. I had envisioned adding them directly to a tank that already houses Guentheri that I received from @Fish Folk, but the new fish are clearly a different variant. They’re larger, and have serveral noticeable visual differences. @Fish Folk’s variation is smaller and has iridescent blue tips on the pectoral fins. They also have noticeably less yellow around the head and “chest” area. 

For now the new fish are being housed in a 3 gallon filled with a bunch of plant trimmings. The plan is to add them to my other killi breeding tank after I modify it with a divider. 

9D9ED666-A63C-42AD-B35A-9B2EE8C629E3.jpeg

15266926-C0C5-4071-8684-0B8AE730AD39.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 3

On 4/23/2023 at 7:40 PM, Patrick_G said:

@Schuyler was kind enough to give me a trio of his Guentheri Killifish. I had envisioned adding them directly to a tank that already houses Guentheri that I received from @Fish Folk, but the new fish are clearly a different variant. They’re larger, and have serveral noticeable visual differences. @Fish Folk’s variation is smaller and has iridescent blue tips on the pectoral fins. They also have noticeably less yellow around the head and “chest” area. 

For now the new fish are being housed in a 3 gallon filled with a bunch of plant trimmings. The plan is to add them to my other killi breeding tank after I modify it with a divider. 

9D9ED666-A63C-42AD-B35A-9B2EE8C629E3.jpeg

15266926-C0C5-4071-8684-0B8AE730AD39.jpeg

Hey,

Could you please share your female(s) when you have time? My lfs recently started carrying them as well but to me, they all look like males. They claim to have females but they are all super colorful just like the ones in your picture.

Very cool fish! 

• Like 2

On 4/23/2023 at 10:43 AM, Lennie said:

Could you please share your female(s) when you have time

Sure thing. I’ll take a few pics. This is a species that one won’t ever have trouble sexing. The females are smaller and are completely grey. 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 8:50 PM, Patrick_G said:

Sure thing. I’ll take a few pics. This is a species that one won’t ever have trouble sexing. The females are smaller and are completely grey. 

Just as I expected... They all had really good red coloring.

Gunther's Blue Zanzibar Killifish | Arizona Aquatic Gardens

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 4/23/2023 at 10:43 AM, Lennie said:

Hey,

Could you please share your female(s) when you have time? My lfs recently started carrying them as well but to me, they all look like males. They claim to have females but they are all super colorful just like the ones in your picture.

Very cool fish! 

If it's hard to tell the difference then the males may be really stressed out. The females basically look like grey guppies with a bit of a sheen.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2023 at 4:32 AM, Patrick_G said:

Here one of the Females

83EE3DCF-A67F-4BF7-BEA8-9D7B52C51441.jpeg.85ab21eba8bb42c7e1e17178205f80b7.jpeg

Thanks for sharing! Very cute indeed, no matter how plain the color is.

@Schuyler Their lifespan is quite short right? So you should expect them to breed or else it is kind of a dead investment? >_> They are quite pricey here. How easy it is to breed them?

Edited by Lennie

On 4/24/2023 at 2:55 AM, Lennie said:

Their lifespan is quite short right? So you should expect them to breed or else it is kind of a dead investment?

Guentheri are one of the longest lived. It depends on a lot of factors but online it says they can live up to 18 months.

They are quite pricey here. How easy it is to breed them?

Ok my experience, the only two things they want to do is eat and breed. Incubating and hatching the eggs is a bit tricky compared to something like a guppy or egg scatterer.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2023 at 4:17 PM, Schuyler said:

Guentheri are one of the longest lived. It depends on a lot of factors but online it says they can live up to 18 months.

The problem is, the ones in the store are already adult size. Who knows how old they are! :') 

They are quite pricey here. How easy it is to breed them?

They’re pricey in the PNW too, and worth every bit of the $10 per fish.

I have some that just don’t want to breed in the container I provide. Everyone else seems to have great luck but not me. I got tired of waiting around for them so I went ahead and bought some eggs! 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2023 at 6:21 AM, Lennie said:

The problem is, the ones in the store are already adult size. Who knows how old they are! :') 

Aquabid has quite a few sellers in Europe. I think one of the main guys is in Bulgaria. Depending on laws in Turkey you may be able to order eggs then you bypass the problem of older fish.

I think there's also another species of killi that's native to Turkey: Aphanius mento.

• Like 1