Easy green for house plants

Mike K

• Administrators
On 4/21/2023 at 6:25 PM, Mike K said:

Hi, 

Anyone talking about Easy green for house plants? 

I tried searching the topic but no results and I'm truly surprised.

Yes, I have spoken with people that use Easy Green for their house plants, and it is working for them. It is probably more cost-effective to use a regular houseplant fertilizer, but if you have extra Easy Green hanging around, I am sure your house plants would be happy. 

@Mike K what are your expectations or search terms? 

For your house plants, I think what you want to look for (based on your use of "full menu" above) is an all-purpose water-soluble complete fertilizer.

All purpose means exactly that. Applicable to most uses. Maybe not the best for flowers or fruit or rooting, but good for maintenance and growth. 

Water soluble means you buy it in powder form, and mix it yourself according to the label directions. This typically has better value (lower cost per mixed litre or gallon) compared to a pre-mixed liquid fert.

Complete refers to having all the macro and micronutrients that plants need. Most generic houseplant fertilizers that you buy will be complete. Another term you might see is "balanced". This refers to the proportions of N, P & K being the same, so 10-10-10 or 22-22-22. These numbers refer to the proportion or percentage by weight that is each of these 3 macro nutrients. You'll note that the N percentage in Easy Green is very low, 2.6%, according to the ACO site. Phosphorus (P) is even lower at ~ 0.5%. These amounts/ratios are not uncommon among mixed liquid fertilizers, but are quite low when you compare to dry ferts, because the latter don't include water weight. 

Don't get me wrong, fish tank water is great stuff, but if you have plants with high nutrient needs, and they're not getting it from their growing medium (aka soil), you'll probably need a commercial blend. 

Also, you can look for Organic or Natural, but when it comes to fertilizers these terms are not very well regulated and/or inconsistently used. 

Hi @TOtrees,

I mixed Easy green with water (pretty much rain water) to feed my orchids ( low feeders in general). I like the results. MSU fertilizer is similar in NPK values. 

I thought at least some people would have tried it here and would maybe want to talk about it is all. I'm no pro horticulturalist by any means. I don't use organic fertilizer on my fish tank or house plants. Easy green works on everything I've used it on. 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 2:02 PM, Matt B said:

Yes!  We always seem to have some kind of plant growing next to the tank...Sooo.. a couple of pumps of Easy Green in the tank and hmmm, one pump for the plant! :classic_laugh::classic_laugh:

Why not? My lemon trees could do with a boost...:classic_laugh:

On 4/22/2023 at 3:55 AM, Zenzo said:

Yes, I have spoken with people that use Easy Green for their house plants, and it is working for them. It is probably more cost-effective to use a regular houseplant fertilizer, but if you have extra Easy Green hanging around, I am sure your house plants would be happy. 

You can always just use WC water, I sometimes use it to water the raspberry plant which feeds my stick insect Mopani. 

• Like 1