Snail Identification?

g0nk

Greetings!

A little under 3 weeks ago, I set up my tank, with some plants I got from Co-Op, and I noticed the next day, I had 2 little stow-aways! I figured let them be, they looked like Nerite snails so I wasn't worried about them reproducing. Fast forward to yesterday, and I'm starting to see a good amount of very tiny snails in the tank, about 1mm in size at the largest. Pictures attached, that's the best I could do really. Am I wrong, and they are something else, not Nerites?

Now.. Last weekend, I got some crushed coral from Pestsmart to add to the tank to raise the PH some for my Cherry shrimp, and everything is about perfect! I have seen these little blobs of white dots (picture attached) which I don't believe are eggs really, as they've been here and there since I put the tank together, and nothing seems to be hatching from them, but I am curious now where all the new tiny snails may have come from. Could they have come with packaged crushed coral? It has been sitting there at Petsmart for a while, given the amount of dust that was one it when I got it. I'm baffled. Wondering if I'm now going to need a hit squad...

PXL_20230410_213403675.jpg

PXL_20230421_194851730.jpg

PXL_20230421_194954725.jpg

PXL_20230421_195245291.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

If you bought any plant's from Cory that's where they came from 
Cory has snails in his tanks, they wouldn't have been on the C C
you bought from the store, so as far as getting a snail patrol maybe.

I had a snail population & lord howdy did I have a population 
I went & got me 2 yo-yo loaches to keep them suckers from 
over populating my tank like B-4, & so far there pretty cool.

On 4/21/2023 at 10:40 PM, Flying fox 6523 said:

Are those the same 1's that over take the tank that's called pest snails ?

They are one of the many kinds commonly called pest snails. Whether or not they take over the tank depends on how much there is for them to eat. 

They'll eat fish food that the fish miss, dying plants, some kinds of algae, dead fish, dead snails...

• Thanks 1

On 4/22/2023 at 8:53 AM, Katherine said:

They are one of the many kinds commonly called pest snails. Whether or not they take over the tank depends on how much there is for them to eat. 

They'll eat fish food that the fish miss, dying plants, some kinds of algae, dead fish, dead snails...

I've never seen any with spots, is why I asked, cause the 1's I 
seen in my tank have been all black & real small, but now
that I have 2 yo-yo loaches I shouldn't be having any show up.