Ideal water temp for shrimp

Izzyf

My local pet shop suggested adding shrimp to the tank to help keep it clean. They have a fish point system so they told me that the shrimp (and also snails) didn’t count towards the number of fish in the tank, so by their logic whether I had a 120 litre tank with two goldfish (and one goldfish needed 60l), or a 15 litre tank with a couple of minnows, I could have as many shrimp as I want. 

The type of shrimp they sell is an Amano shrimp. They also told me it was suitable to keep in Coldwater. I have since been to other fish providers and the consensus seemed to be that shrimp are best kept in a heated tank. 

I have never kept shrimp before but if I should find myself considering adding shrimp to my tank one day I would want to ensure they are kept in the best condition possible. 

Is it not the case that shrimp have a minimum water requirement just like any other fish? And if I have a Coldwater tank around 20 degrees C., would a shrimp be comfortable at this temperature? 

I do not keep a Amano but I keep neocaridina. I can verify neo shrimp are fine in cold. I’ve kept them as low as 66-67. The neos actually do better in cooler tanks for me. 
Out of curiosity I looked on the web to see how Amano stack up. This is what I found. 

4A154C37-5A46-45AB-A9D9-DB390157081A.png

Edited by Guppysnail

On 4/20/2023 at 2:03 PM, Izzyf said:

And if I have a Coldwater tank around 20 degrees C., would a shrimp be comfortable at this temperature? 

I've taken mine down to pretty cold. Below 68F (20C).  When shrimp get too cold their muscles stop working and they die from muscular dystrophy. I keep my tanks (optimally) at 72-74F (22-23C) and it's a good balance of warm enough and cool enough. When it gets cold at night the temps can drop down to that 70 degree range or slightly below.

The minnows will do very well at those temperatures as well.

On 4/20/2023 at 4:42 PM, Guppysnail said:

I do not keep a Amano but I keep neocaridina. I can verify neo shrimp are fine in cold. I’ve kept them as low as 66-67. The neos actually do better in cooler tanks for me. 
Out of curiosity I looked on the web to see how Amano stack up. This is what I found. 

I have some outside in tubs that have been there through the last two winters.  While it of course doesn't get as cold here in southeast Texas as it does in much of the world, the tubs have had a layer of ice over the top for a day or two several times, and the shrimp were just fine.  I sold 50 out of one of them a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 2