Pseudomugil luminatus share your breeding knowledge please

Guppysnail

I obtained a group of 13 Psuedomugil luminatus. They are very young and growing up in my white wizard snail tank. 

I am deciding on just what tank they will live and hopefully breed in. I’m wanting it to be my Aspidora spilotus 20 high. Though my Aspidora are very active using every inch top to bottom. Picture corydora that really need to switch to decaf coffee 🤣

Will they be frightened by my very peaceful but boisterous Aspidora?

Has anyone successfully bred them?  Share tips, tricks experiences please. I just want a self sustaining group and a few extra to share with friends. I’m not trying a breed for profit. I would like to have them breed and fry survive in the home tank with as little work on my part hatching and raising youngsters as possible. 
If needed I’ll pull and hatch eggs. But I still need tips on getting them to lay and what they like to lay in and need to be comfy. 

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience. Photos of your beauties very welcome. 🤗

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 2

I’m not sure, but rainbows have always seemed to be fairly jumpy, somewhat easily stressed fish.  Especially the smaller species.  I’ve not kept luminatus but I did have threadfins for a while years ago, and those suckers would leap out of the tiniest gap in the lid.

Edit to add I’ll be following along to see how you find success.  I’ve been debating between adding luminatus, gertrudae, or try threadfins again as a top water species in my 100 G nano tank.

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Thanks 1

I am currently breeding them. I have fry about 2 months old. I had the most success putting all 8 of my adults in a 10 gallon tank with a bunch of java moss for about 2 weeks then moving the adults to another tank. Then fry just showed up 10-20 days later. The 10 gallon tank was at 72f until I realized there was fry then I slowly turned up the heater to 76.

I also used a spawning mop in a tank and pulled a few eggs everyday. They are definitely good at finding and eating eggs. A good amount of java moss is probably more ideal because they don't seem to be able to get to the eggs as easily. I fed the fry 5-50 micron golden pearls and vinegar eels until they were big enough for baby brine shrimp. 

I think it will be difficult to raise fry in a tank with adults because adults will prey on eggs and fry. The fry are also pretty small at first and would struggle to find enough food. My luminatus are not too shy but are in a tank by themselves. I don't think they would mind other peaceful fish like Aspidoras. Seems like the tank you have them raising up in would be good to get a spawning mop or two in or java moss and then move them to the Aspidoras tank and raise the fry in their current tank? I'm not sure how young yours are but I believe they are sexually mature around 6 months old. I got mine from Dans Fish at the end of Jan 2023 and they were spawning a few weeks later.

Here is the 10 gallon tank the fry are raising up in now.

IMG_1469.jpeg.78b3e65d4b1b2ea51a4f181ba7e21f05.jpeg

This is the tank the adults got moved to and I had the spawning mop in.

DSC_0936.jpeg.dc079d43521957180170d2c2e5ff8006.jpeg

I have a few shorts with these as well.

Edited by Matt M
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

@Matt M THANK YOU. 

This is exact the information I needed. Mine look somewhere in size a bit bigger than the fry in the video yet not filled out like your adults. I’ll get some videos Monday for you. 

Your method is ideal for my situation. I’m growing them out in a 10g Wizard snail breeding tank. The wizards are very slow movers so will not quickly nab eggs. 

I have tons of floaters and a bit of moss. I’ll pull a couple handfuls of Java moss to add. 

Once I am confident they are spawning and see eggs I’ll relocate them to the Aspidora tank hoping to raise the young in the Wizard tank. I can then pull eggs, or moss and floater with eggs to the Wizard tank using my floating coffee strainer to protect them until they hatch or are large enough to not be consumed by siblings. The snail tank stays between 75-76. 

Your success has me excited. I hope to share that same success. I have 5-50 micron golden pearls from Kens and 100-200. 

Thank you for taking the time to share so much detailed information and congratulations on your success. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

@Guppysnail You're welcome! I found them very easy to spawn. I just fed flake and xtreme nano and they just spawned without me knowing until I moved them and saw fry shortly after. Once they are old enough, you will probably see them spawning throughout the day. Your plan sounds perfect. I'm sure you will be successful. Good luck, let me know if you have any other questions! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/21/2023 at 5:53 PM, Odd Duck said:

I’m not sure, but rainbows have always seemed to be fairly jumpy, somewhat easily stressed fish.  Especially the smaller species.  I’ve not kept luminatus but I did have threadfins for a while years ago, and those suckers would leap out of the tiniest gap in the lid.

Edit to add I’ll be following along to see how you find success.  I’ve been debating between adding luminatus, gertrudae, or try threadfins again as a top water species in my 100 G nano tank.

The only rainbow i've ever kept was Pseudomugil furcatus (forktail blue-eye rainbow); and these did not jump - well one female might have out of 12 in a 40B without a lid. After a year i gave them all away but one male but 3 years later it is still swimming around being forky. Having said that i have no clue about other species.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I could not watch these kids cramped, skittishly hiding at the top back and obviously not enjoying their temporary 10g grow out any longer. I netted them and put them with my Aspidora. 
They are a whole new fish. This is 10 minutes after moving them. Playing in the flow, exploring everything and they don’t even seem to notice the Aspidora at all 🥰

This means they were moved before old enough to spawn and fry just show up in the 10. The bit of extra egg collecting is worth me not feeling their stress and them being happy. 

• Love 2